Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

Dear friends,

I am translating with Trados and when I close a segment and then I realise that there was something wrong I want to rectify it but I can't. I am sure that this question is rather stupid. I am trying to find out how this can be sorted out but I am not finding the answer to my question.
Thanks for your tips.
Regards,
Bernadette

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which file format? Oct 13, 2004

Hi Bernadette,
Can you please tell us which file format you're working on (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, HTML, DTP...)? Also, it's always useful to indicate which software version you're using.

Can you describe your problem in some more detail? Specifically, what happens if you try to re-open the segment you would like to adjust?

Thanks, Ralf

Bernadette Mora
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Oct 13, 2004

Hi!

The file format is Word.
The problem is that I don't know how to adjust the segment I have just closed. I try to do it manually and I can't write on it.
I know my Trados knowledge is so low...
Thanks.
Bernadette

abaensch
abaensch
Germany
English to German
Open it again Oct 13, 2004

You are free to re-open an already translated segment as many times you want in order to correct your translation.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Oct 13, 2004

Hi again,
The file format is Word.

Ok, thanks - never mind the versions...

The problem is that I don't know how to adjust the segment I have just closed. I try to do it manually and I can't write on it.

As abänsch pointed out, you can always re-open a segment - what happens if you try to do that? Are you displaying all non-printable characters in Word (so you can see source and target text, as well as the Trados tags)? Seeing everything is essential, as you could damage tags when making manual entries.
Is the part of the segment you're trying to edit manually at the beginning of the sentence? Could it be that you're attempting to overwrite a tag? (Trados tags - which are shown in violet - are write-protected by default.)

I know my Trados knowledge is so low...

No problem at all - but when describing a problem, always remember that the person trying to help you can't see what you're doing, or what you're working on.

Cheers, Ralf

Bernadette Mora
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Oct 13, 2004

Hi again!

I have another doubt...
I want to skip some segments, I mean, some segments must not be translated, they must remain in English.
How can I do it?
Sorry for disturbing you again...
Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Bernadette

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just skip them... Oct 13, 2004

Hi again,
The easiest way to do that is simply to skip them - place your cursor in the first segment following the non-translatable text, then continue.

If you're familiar with template-based formatting in MS Word (and since I have no idea which Word version you're using, I can't tell you more...), you can use the workflow described on page 4-24 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide.

On a general note, may I recommend the Trados online tutorials, which i
... See more
Hi again,
The easiest way to do that is simply to skip them - place your cursor in the first segment following the non-translatable text, then continue.

If you're familiar with template-based formatting in MS Word (and since I have no idea which Word version you're using, I can't tell you more...), you can use the workflow described on page 4-24 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide.

On a general note, may I recommend the Trados online tutorials, which illustrate the fundamental concepts involved? They're part of T6.5; if you're using an earlier version, download them from www.translationzone.com.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Bernadette Mora
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Oct 13, 2004

Thanks Ralf, thanks Abänsch!
Thanks for your tips.
Regards from Barcelona,

Bernadette

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

On a general note, may I recommend the Trados online tutorials, which illustrate the fundamental concepts involved? They're part of T6.5; if you're using an earlier version, download them from www.translationzone.com.

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correction of a segment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »