how to jump to next translatable segment?
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 09:00
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2004

I know there is this "Translate to Fuzzy" function, but even that takes long minutes before I reach the next translatable (no match or fuzzy match) segment.

Is there any trick to resolve this problem?

I vaguely remember that this has been discussed here a few months ago, but I cannot find that topic.

Thank you.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please be more specific Oct 20, 2004

What kind of files are you translating?
With Word/TAG Editor or else?
Why does it take so long - is your text that long?

Regards
Jerzy

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some details Oct 20, 2004

I use Trados 5.5 and Word XP.
With Trados, I normally translate files that are transformed by the client from FrameMaker (i.e. full of grey and red codes).

Now I am translating a technical manual - and I have translated very similar ones before, i.e. the repetition rate is around 75 to 85%.

Even with "translate to fuzzy", each perfect match takes about one second to jump over, which means that sometimes I have to wait up to 30 or even 50 seconds before the proce
... See more
I use Trados 5.5 and Word XP.
With Trados, I normally translate files that are transformed by the client from FrameMaker (i.e. full of grey and red codes).

Now I am translating a technical manual - and I have translated very similar ones before, i.e. the repetition rate is around 75 to 85%.

Even with "translate to fuzzy", each perfect match takes about one second to jump over, which means that sometimes I have to wait up to 30 or even 50 seconds before the process stops at the next translatable segment.

If there was a trick to force Workbench not to open each segment automatically but jump directly to the next translatable one, I could save several hours on each project.

Thank you for your ideas.

Csaba

PS I use "Normal View" rather than "Page Layout View", in order to minimize the duration of the repagination process.

[Edited at 2004-10-20 11:40]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:00
English to German
+ ...
Pretranslate? Oct 20, 2004

Have you tried the Workbench / Tools / Translate option?
This should be faster since there will be less work for Word.
I mean, Tools/Translate and afterwards use the Translate to fuzzy in Word, or in TagEditor, which will probably run faster.

On the other hand, the fastest option would be to use Déjà Vu and filter off the 100% matches.

[Edited at 2004-11-06 18:39]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm sorry, but this is normal Oct 20, 2004

The only thing you can do is to pretlanslate the file using WB (as it is your own translation, this should be OK). If you set WB only to translate 100% matches and select proper penalties (ie for missing TAGs, formating changes and so on) you'll get a good pretranslated file.

Then in Word you could use the "tw4winSetCloseOpenNextNo100Get.Main" macro - I created a shortcut for it (ie CTRL+ALT+(NUM+)). This is the macro for saving the current translation, closing it and opening the ne
... See more
The only thing you can do is to pretlanslate the file using WB (as it is your own translation, this should be OK). If you set WB only to translate 100% matches and select proper penalties (ie for missing TAGs, formating changes and so on) you'll get a good pretranslated file.

Then in Word you could use the "tw4winSetCloseOpenNextNo100Get.Main" macro - I created a shortcut for it (ie CTRL+ALT+(NUM+)). This is the macro for saving the current translation, closing it and opening the next not 100% match after pretlanslatin. It works pretty good, if one can be sure the pretlanslation does not need to be looked after or the file will be revised later.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 20, 2004

Thank you for your ideas.

I normally work in DV, this why I am not really familiar with the little tricks in Trados.
I wanted to do this project in DV as well, but for the time being I am not able to import TMs created by Workbench.
(I already contacted Atril on this, but I have not received any useful feedback.)

all the best,
Cs.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:00
English to German
+ ...
Delete the RTF preamble Oct 20, 2004

If you delete the RTF preamble - and subsequently everything between curly brackets { } there should be no problem to import an exported Trados TM into DV.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at TW users group on Yahoo Oct 20, 2004

there is a small programm for deleting all font related info from the TM, making it thus "clean" for importing.
It works just well.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to jump to next translatable segment?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »