Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:39
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 21, 2004

Hi all,

First off, sorry for this simple question, I'm just now learning TRADOS (woohoo!).

The question is, how do I make Word hide the source text? Problem is, when I click on the 'P' button (the Show/Hide command), it only toggles the visibility of certain characters, i.e. spaces, carriage returns, etc. I made sure that the source text is formatted as hidden. I've gone through Word help but could not find a solution.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I have the German version of Word, so bear with me... Oct 21, 2004

I have the German version of Word, so I might not get some of these names quite right, but I think you will get the general jist:

In Word, go to -> Tools -> Options -> View and make sure the box in front of "hidden text" does not have a tick in it.

Let me know how you get on.

Alison

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What a relief! Oct 21, 2004

Thank you Alison, your advice is greatly appreciated!

That indeed was THE solution to my problem. The Word Help makers sure do suck...

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Careful Oct 21, 2004

Hello,

often it is better to see the hiddeen text, because if you don't see it, it is very easy to damage the Trados tu structure.

With kind regards

Hans

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
DSC is right Oct 22, 2004

breaking Trados segments is a common problem at the beginning, but the function Restore document helps a great deal.

I think the shortcut CTRL + , helps toggle from visible to invisible text, depending if you have activated the option to show invisible text by default or not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make Word hide the source text

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »