How can I integrate proofreading results into my TM?
Thread poster: Klaus Hartmann
Klaus Hartmann
Klaus Hartmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
English to German
+ ...
Oct 22, 2004

I have created a large TM referring to a client that I work for via an agency, some 150.000 words (En>De). Over the summer, I did a large project for them, about 75.000 words of exported software strings, often lacking context. For that project, I used my TM.
I had to do the eventual proofreading of the German text in rtf files that weren't mine: These contained my text mixed with text from other sources (earlier translations from the agency's DejaVu TM and other sources. That had been my
... See more
I have created a large TM referring to a client that I work for via an agency, some 150.000 words (En>De). Over the summer, I did a large project for them, about 75.000 words of exported software strings, often lacking context. For that project, I used my TM.
I had to do the eventual proofreading of the German text in rtf files that weren't mine: These contained my text mixed with text from other sources (earlier translations from the agency's DejaVu TM and other sources. That had been my clients decision, to which I had objected, but that's another story...) During that proofreading, I corrected the entire text, including the sections created by the agency.
There was a great deal of corrections to be done, because I saw the whole picture for the first time.

Now here's my question: Can I import the changes (which I marked via the track-changes function of Word) into my TM?
Alignment isn't an option, because the agency doesn't want to give me the original pdf.
Is there a Word function I could use? Such as: I export my TM into a txt file and then create some kind of fusion between my German rtf and the TM.txt, telling the computer: Whenever you find a sentence in the rtf that has been changed, look whether it is part of the txt, and if so, replace the old version of the sentence by the new one?
I would be very grateful for any suggestions - I've tried to do it manually, but that would take days or weeks...
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:24
English to German
+ ...
Reverse translation Oct 23, 2004

After accepting the changes in your proofread files you can use your TM to translate these files into the former source language.

Everything which is not a 100% match is a sentence which has been changed.

You will have to guess the original sentence or find it in the concordance. This is still a lot of work, but it is very systematic and even faster than proofreading.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can edit your TM Oct 23, 2004

If you have only pdf files of the final text you could load the TM into a text editor and correct the faulty segments. Terminology changes are easy to fix with search and replace. I do this regularly since my proofreader gets only cleaned-up files, all changes I apply directly to the TM once in a while.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I integrate proofreading results into my TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »