Remapping keyboard shortcuts
Thread poster: Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
Oct 23, 2004

I have to go on a trip, and am taking my laptop, and would like to remap two of the keyboard shortcuts which use the number pad (alt + [num +] and alt + [num *]), since my laptop doesn't have a number pad (obviously).

Is this possible to do, and if so, how is it done?

I'm using Trados 6.5.5.438.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you work with Word ey, otherwise no (AFAIK) Oct 23, 2004

In Word you can assign almost any shortcut to anything you want.
To do so, choose Tools - Adapt - Keyboard (these are translations from German, I hope they are similar in English). On the left side, in the window "Categories" select "All commands", then search the proper macro you want to assign a shortcut to and insert the desired shortcut in the field "New shortcut", then say "assign".
If you do not know the macro names: put the cursor in the field "New shortcut" and press the shor
... See more
In Word you can assign almost any shortcut to anything you want.
To do so, choose Tools - Adapt - Keyboard (these are translations from German, I hope they are similar in English). On the left side, in the window "Categories" select "All commands", then search the proper macro you want to assign a shortcut to and insert the desired shortcut in the field "New shortcut", then say "assign".
If you do not know the macro names: put the cursor in the field "New shortcut" and press the shortcut you want to change. Then you will see the information "Currently assigned to" with a command beside. Search for it in the list of commands, highlight with mouse click and then assign a desired shortcut to it.

Refer to Word help, how to assign shortcuts.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Success! Oct 23, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

...choose Tools - Adapt - Keyboard (these are translations from German, I hope they are similar in English). On the left side, in the window "Categories" select "All commands"...

It worked! Thank you very much. However, since I use Japanese Office I had to search around a bit. What you translated as "Adapt" above is "User Settings" in Japanese ("yuuzaa settei"), just in case anyone else using Japanese Office sees this and wants to try it.

Also, the Trados macro commands were not listed under "All commands" in my system. They are under "Macros."

I reassigned "alt + [num +]" to "alt + down" and "alt + [num *]" to "alt + right," both of which were already assigned to other Trados macros (which I never use), but there was no problem.

Thanks for the tip.

Marc Adler

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:39
English to German
+ ...
Outside of Word: KDrive32 Oct 24, 2004

I am content with KDrive32 - it lets you redefine any key and/or combination and works with all of the programs I have tested.

Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
further reassignments Oct 24, 2004

MarcAdler wrote:

I reassigned "alt + [num +]" to "alt + down" and "alt + [num *]" to "alt + right,"

I'm posting this because I thought it might be helpful to others. I took it a step further and did the following reassignments:

alt+[num +] -> alt+j Get next
alt+[num *] -> alt+k Get next unmatched
alt+home -> alt+l Open segment
alt+end -> alt+; Close segment*

Now the Trados commands I use most are literally at my fingertips, under my right hand.

Marc Adler

*The command names only appear in Japanese when I hover over buttons, so these are just approximations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remapping keyboard shortcuts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »