How can I convert a Trados translation memory into text?
Thread poster: Orianne Gogo-Mulot
Orianne Gogo-Mulot
Orianne Gogo-Mulot
France
Local time: 20:28
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2004

Does anyone know how to convert a Trados translation memory file (.tmw) into a readable format (Word or Word Pad) as I cannot open it with Trados Workbench ?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-10-26 15:54]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Export, alas... Oct 26, 2004

Hi Orianne,
The only way I can think of is to export it - but that won't help you if you cannot open the TM in the first place...

What happens exactly when you try to open it?
Are the four index files still there?
Which Trados version are you using?

Thanks, Ralf

Orianne Gogo-Mulot
Orianne Gogo-Mulot
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 5.0 's incompatibility with subsequent versions Oct 26, 2004

Thanks for the advice, Ralf.

The problem is that my version of Trados (5.0) doesn't seem to support TMs created with subsequent versions. I don't mind if I cannot translate with Trados but I want to be able to read the memory I was sent.

Orianne

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Export, after all Oct 26, 2004

Hi again,
The problem is that my version of Trados (5.0) doesn't seem to support TMs created with subsequent versions.

That's correct, but you can work with an export - can you get an export instead of the TM?

Best, Ralf

Orianne Gogo-Mulot
Orianne Gogo-Mulot
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An export ? Oct 26, 2004

I do have the four index files along with the TM file. Is this what you mean by "having an export" ?

Thanks anyway, Ralf

Orianne

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TM export by the person who supplied the TM Oct 26, 2004

Hi again,

I do have the four index files along with the TM file. Is this what you mean by "having an export" ?

No, these are index files, but they won't enable you to access the TM, as the indexation process was changed between T5.x and T6.x.

What I meant was a text export of the TM you received; data is interchangeable between T6.x and earlier versions using export/import.

Best, Ralf

Kwei Chang
Kwei Chang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
try this Oct 27, 2004

I am not sure I understand your question. If you have the English original , simply go to tool of workbench and click on the TRANSLATIOn , then select the original, after the translation operation, your original will trun into target language,
You probably know this already. if you do, ignore this suggestion.
orianne76 wrote:

Does anyone know how to convert a Trados translation memory file (.tmw) into a readable format (Word or Word Pad) as I cannot open it with Trados Workbench ?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-10-26 15:54]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I convert a Trados translation memory into text?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »