trouble with Trados demo version - no arrows appear in word sample document
Thread poster: Paulette Pagani
Paulette Pagani
Paulette Pagani  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 1, 2004

Thank you for your previous answer. I did what you suggested. Now I have reached the section where a sample document is opened in word. The problem is that the arrows which appear between the line of "File, Edit, View, etc". and the symbols for "new document, open document, save document, etc." do not appear so I cannot retrieve sentences from the translation memory. Have I by any chance not opened the Trados demo version correctly ? Everything seems to be going wrong. At this rate, I'll never b... See more
Thank you for your previous answer. I did what you suggested. Now I have reached the section where a sample document is opened in word. The problem is that the arrows which appear between the line of "File, Edit, View, etc". and the symbols for "new document, open document, save document, etc." do not appear so I cannot retrieve sentences from the translation memory. Have I by any chance not opened the Trados demo version correctly ? Everything seems to be going wrong. At this rate, I'll never be able to make up my mind whether to buy Trados or not. Remember I'm from a third world country and we have exchange control procedures in force so buying anything in dollars requires a lot of hassle, patience and red tape procedures. Alternatively, maybe you can point me to a provider of Trados in Caracas, Venezuela so I can go and visit him and see the demo at his office. Many thanks.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:03
English to German
+ ...
Arrows or buttons? Nov 1, 2004

Hi again,
I'm not sure what "arrows" you're referring to, but I guess you're looking for the buttons that are placed in MS Word by activating the Trados template. You did not specify which Word version you're using - can you please indicate that, as the paths for the Word startup directory differ between versions.

Alternatively, use the forum search for "taskbar" or "toolbar"; this issue has been discussed before. You co
... See more
Hi again,
I'm not sure what "arrows" you're referring to, but I guess you're looking for the buttons that are placed in MS Word by activating the Trados template. You did not specify which Word version you're using - can you please indicate that, as the paths for the Word startup directory differ between versions.

Alternatively, use the forum search for "taskbar" or "toolbar"; this issue has been discussed before. You could also search the Trados Knowledge Base.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:03
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you see the flagman? Nov 1, 2004

Hi, Paulette!

I'm so glad to find you here at Proz! Dear colleges: Paulette was my first friend in Venezuela! That was almost thirty years ago! What about Susan and Douglas? I hope everything is fine, and welcome to Proz.com! You'll find lot of support here! And friends, too!
If you've downloaded the Trados demo, I guess the version is 6.5... In your Word file, can you see a man with a red flag at the tool ba
... See more
Hi, Paulette!

I'm so glad to find you here at Proz! Dear colleges: Paulette was my first friend in Venezuela! That was almost thirty years ago! What about Susan and Douglas? I hope everything is fine, and welcome to Proz.com! You'll find lot of support here! And friends, too!
If you've downloaded the Trados demo, I guess the version is 6.5... In your Word file, can you see a man with a red flag at the tool bar?
If the answer is YES, simply click on it and you'll see "the arrows".
If the answer is NOT, try this: Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > TEMPLATES AND COMPLEMENTS. Can you see a template name "Trados6.dot"? Select it! Otherwise, will have to search on your desktop the template "trados6.do". When located, copy and paste it in an Office folder named INICIO (??) Well, I'm not sure, but in my PC the route is: C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Office\Office\INICIO

I'm aware of the issue of dollar exchange in Venezuela, and that for all of us living in our poor underdeveloped countries, the purchasing of a CAT tool is a difficult decision. I've seen your CV. According to it, you are working exclusively as a translator, thus I really recommend you to invest in a CAT tool. Is Trados the best option? I'm not quite sure. I'm the happy owner of Trados and I can't imagine translating without it. I remember having downloaded Metatexis and Wordfast, which are much cheaper and, according to other users, of easier use. I'm also a license owner of an old version of SDLX, which was cheaper. I never used none of them. The reason, all my client always required TRADOS, and rejected the idea that translation memories created by the other CAT tools were fully compatible with Trdos. Since I bought Trados, I've upgraded it to the latest version. Oh, Dear! It's so expensive! I understand your doubts when considering its purchase. But, think this: will you translate without a PC, because a PC is too expensive? In my case, I can't imagine myself translating on a typewriter, for instance. The same for Trados (or whatever translation tool I had bought!). Now-a-days, a CAT tool is a must in my case, no matter how expensive be it.

Regards!
Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trouble with Trados demo version - no arrows appear in word sample document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »