Two target languages in one memory?
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 23:19
German to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2004

I have TRADOS 6.5 Freelance 6.5.1.406 and Windows XP.

Like many English translators, I translate both UK and US English, sometimes both for the same customer, depending on the project.

My memories are usually set up for UK English, but when I use US English, the automatic spell-check changes back to UK English after closing each segement.

My question is this: is it possible to set up a Trados memory so that it accepts both target language variations at the
... See more
I have TRADOS 6.5 Freelance 6.5.1.406 and Windows XP.

Like many English translators, I translate both UK and US English, sometimes both for the same customer, depending on the project.

My memories are usually set up for UK English, but when I use US English, the automatic spell-check changes back to UK English after closing each segement.

My question is this: is it possible to set up a Trados memory so that it accepts both target language variations at the same time?

Many thanks

Ian

[Edited at 2004-11-08 07:29]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:19
English to German
+ ...
Yes Nov 8, 2004

When you create a new translation memory you have the option to select several target languages, including En-UK and En-US(keep the Ctrl key pressed when selecting).

aviloria
aviloria  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Add sublanguages to existing TMs Nov 8, 2004

If you already have some TMs and want to add sublanguages to them, in Workbench go to File > Setup and add the required language in Target Languages.

Once you are working with the TM, whenever you want to change sublanguages, in Workbench go to Settings > Target Language. That's it!

Regards

Alberto

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but ... Nov 11, 2004

Thanks guys,

But it still doesn't work. I set up a new memory, imported the segment from the old one but the automatic spell-check changes back to UK English after closing each segement, even new segments which weren't in the UK memory.

Or am I doing something wrong?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd very much like to hear them.

Thanks

Ian

Martin Hesse
Martin Hesse  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
For once, not due to Trados Nov 11, 2004

Hi all,

The way I see it, this is more a Word than a Trados problem. How to set sublanguages has already been explained. Workaround for the spellchecker problem: Translate your file down till the end, deselect Formatting marks > Hidden text (or All if applicable). Mark all, Set language (to either UK or US English) and run the spellchecker. Any changes will be updated by the cleaning process into your TM (activate this option). Done.

Regs,

Martin

... See more
Hi all,

The way I see it, this is more a Word than a Trados problem. How to set sublanguages has already been explained. Workaround for the spellchecker problem: Translate your file down till the end, deselect Formatting marks > Hidden text (or All if applicable). Mark all, Set language (to either UK or US English) and run the spellchecker. Any changes will be updated by the cleaning process into your TM (activate this option). Done.

Regs,

Martin

Might also be due to your default language selection.
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 11, 2004

Thanks Martin,

That's pretty much what I was doing anyway. Perhaps I should make separate memories for UK and US, working from one memory and referring to the other on a read-only basis, depending on the language.

Thanks to everyone else as well.

Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two target languages in one memory?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »