NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 07:31
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Nov 8, 2004

Hi Ralf and all

I just re-read this thread http://www.proz.com/post/177080#177080 and although I did experience the problems and solutions described there, this is new.

I run Trados 5.5 FL build 257 on Windows & Office XP. I use a Dell Inspiron 1100 with two dongle ports. One never worked for the Trados alth
... See more
Hi Ralf and all

I just re-read this thread http://www.proz.com/post/177080#177080 and although I did experience the problems and solutions described there, this is new.

I run Trados 5.5 FL build 257 on Windows & Office XP. I use a Dell Inspiron 1100 with two dongle ports. One never worked for the Trados although it worked for the E:/ drive(I got the computer in June). The second port accepted the Trados dongle which would light up and the laptop would chime.
This no longer happens. It's like the key is dead. I open WB and of course get the message: TM troo large for demo mode.

Of course, this only happens in a deadline crisis!

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Trados support page Nov 8, 2004

I went to the Trados support page after clicking on Ralf's Harvester link from the thread mentioned above. The harvester link is evidently under construction. However, on the Trados support page was an article descsribing my exact, er , symptoms so I am now downloading Sentinal Protector 7.0. With dial-up it will take around three-quarters of an hour, so I'll have to wait till then to see if that will fix the problem.

Nancy

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Dongle port? Nov 8, 2004

Hello Lynn --

What do you mean by "dongle port"? Either you have a parallel dongle, which goes into the printer port, or a USB dongle, which goes into any USB port. My Trados dongle is USB, with a light, and I have a parallel dongle for SDLX, which has no light on it, so I find your question a bit unclear.

The USB port is plug-and-play, so you can try removing and putting it right in. The parallel port requires a restart.

My dongles, whether parallel or US
... See more
Hello Lynn --

What do you mean by "dongle port"? Either you have a parallel dongle, which goes into the printer port, or a USB dongle, which goes into any USB port. My Trados dongle is USB, with a light, and I have a parallel dongle for SDLX, which has no light on it, so I find your question a bit unclear.

The USB port is plug-and-play, so you can try removing and putting it right in. The parallel port requires a restart.

My dongles, whether parallel or USB, sometimes uninstall themselves, especially the parallel one. You might want to reinstall the whole application (that's what I do when my SDLX dongle fails).

Best,
Esther
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
USB with a light Nov 8, 2004

Hi Esther,
Sorry, I often don't use the right terminology. I meant USB port. It *used* to be plug-and-play, and I am just wondering if I just plugged-and-played it once too often, so that I wore it out!

Nancy

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
First things first Nov 8, 2004

Hi Lynn --

First, you must determine whether it's the dongle that is faulty or your USB ports. Try plugging the dongle into a different computer (any computer will do, even a Mac, as long as it has a working USB port). See if the light comes on.

If the problem is your dongle, you'll have to send it back to be replaced. If the problem is the USB port, then your computer will need to be repaired.

Best,
Esther

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:31
English to Norwegian
+ ...
USB use Nov 8, 2004

If you have moved the USB-dongle in/out many times w/o using the safe release function, you may have damaged the dongle. The USB port carries current and skipping this precautionary step may damage memory sticks, etc.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Outdated dongle Nov 8, 2004

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Esther Pfeffer wrote:If the problem is your dongle, you'll have to send it back to be replaced.

It turns out the dongle was 'outdated' - and the Sentinel download turned out to be worth the wait.

Everything is back to normal. Mind you, as a result of this nonsense I`ve ended up ordering yhe upgrade to 6.5.5, something I had planned to do in January. Oh well, I guess it`s time.

Thanks again!

Nancy

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:31
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
USB use Nov 8, 2004

Per Riise wrote:

If you have moved the USB-dongle in/out many times w/o using the safe release function, you may have damaged the dongle. The USB port carries current and skipping this precautionary step may damage memory sticks, etc.

What you're saying is true for USB memory sticks, but as far as I know, there is no safe release function for Trados USB dongle and it should be safe to remove it anytime (except when it's being updated with a new license information).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Light doesn`t come on dongle - demo mode

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »