How to perform untranslated wordcounts in Trados?
Thread poster: ulketa
ulketa
ulketa
Spanish to English
Nov 10, 2004

Transit has a very simple tool for performing wordcounts. It displays translated and untranslated words, characters, and so forth, fuzzy matches, percentages, etc. It is a great way to manage your progress in long translations. Is there anything similar in Trados 6.5 Freelancer?

Thanks in advance

Ulketa

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 04:08
German to English
+ ...
Yes - "analyse" Nov 10, 2004

ulketa wrote:

Is there anything similar in Trados 6.5 Freelancer?

Ulketa

Yes, it's called "analyse". You can find it under -> Tools -> analyse. In the window that appears, use "add" to add the file(s) you want to analyse, hit "analyse", and the listing at the bottom right of that window will show you the matches, repetitions, untranslated segments, etc. If you have the log file function switched on this information will also be saved in the log file.

HTH

Alison

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, use the analyse function from the Workbench Nov 10, 2004

Go to Workbench, menu Tools and choose Analyse.
Then select the file you want to know the statistisc and start analysis. You will get more precise informations than with Transit.
If you open the log file afte analysis you can not only see the percentage of matches and repetitions, but also the number of characters and the average number of characers per word are displayed.

Regards
Jerzy

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I think you do not understand the question Nov 11, 2004

Was Ulketa wants to know if it is possible to "see" how much have you done, for example the last 2 hours, and how much is still to do without closing the open translation. That is a very good function offer by some CATs, I think Trados has not this function.

Rgds

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I think you did not understand the explanation Nov 11, 2004

If you do the analysis at the begiining of the translation you'll get, what you have to do.
After you have finshed some parts of your work and make the analysis anew, you'll get, how much you have allready translated and what is still left to do.
Trados analysis is quite precise, if compared to ie the analsis, you can get with Transit Satellite PE, which cannot check repetitions and any percentual matches.

More then, with Trados you can compare the analysis results, as y
... See more
If you do the analysis at the begiining of the translation you'll get, what you have to do.
After you have finshed some parts of your work and make the analysis anew, you'll get, how much you have allready translated and what is still left to do.
Trados analysis is quite precise, if compared to ie the analsis, you can get with Transit Satellite PE, which cannot check repetitions and any percentual matches.

More then, with Trados you can compare the analysis results, as you are able to analyse the file with the TM from previous analysis (to get basic values) and with the actual TM.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I understand your explanation Nov 11, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

More then, with Trados you can compare the analysis results, as you are able to analyse the file with the TM from previous analysis (to get basic values) and with the actual TM.

Regards
Jerzy

but If I understand well the question, it is not the answer she needs.

...It is a great way to manage your progress in long translations

I supose she wants to translate a big file and during the translation (without closing, looking into a older TM, or any other procedure) to see how much words she has translated, for example the last hour, and so to know how many hours she needs to finish the work, a kind of "live counter" left words tranlated and right words to translate. AFAIK Deja Vu can do that, I never tried Transit.
Have you understand what I mean? sorry my english is not my best one

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2004-11-11 23:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to perform untranslated wordcounts in Trados?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »