Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:25
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Nov 12, 2004

Hi,

I noticed that often when I do a concordance search I don't get matches on words with abbreviations, for example CD-ROM drive. It seems to have something to do with the capital letters, but I don't know what to do about it.

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 08:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Concordance is spotty at best Nov 12, 2004

This probably does not apply to your language pairs, but:

Forget abbreviations - I often don't get a match even on terms that are a 100% match and that I know I just entered five minutes ago. At least when working with Japanese, Trados' concordance search is spotty at best.

Gary Daine (X)
Gary Daine (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing you can do... Nov 13, 2004

Capitalised words are apparently treated as placeables by Trados. This may depend on the Substitution setup, but I think not.

As such, they appear to be stored as a variable or marker, and so Concordance search will not find them. The same goes, incidentally, for numbers - you can't search for '5538' even though you are certain it's in the TM (or rather, you can search, but you won't find)

It's also something to be careful of with so-called '100% matches'.

... See more
Capitalised words are apparently treated as placeables by Trados. This may depend on the Substitution setup, but I think not.

As such, they appear to be stored as a variable or marker, and so Concordance search will not find them. The same goes, incidentally, for numbers - you can't search for '5538' even though you are certain it's in the TM (or rather, you can search, but you won't find)

It's also something to be careful of with so-called '100% matches'.

Gary
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:25
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Placeables? Nov 13, 2004

Gary Daine wrote:

It's true that SDLX treats capitalised words as placeables, but are you sure about Trados? I have never heard that...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »