Unwanted tags added after editing files by tag editor.
Thread poster: KyungMin
KyungMin
KyungMin
English to Korean
+ ...
Nov 16, 2004

Hello all.

1. Source Language: Korean
Target Language: Thai
Source file format: HTML files including XML
Used Trados version: 5.5

2. Symptom:
After editing TTX file with Tag Editor, unwanted new tags added randomly. i.e. . Every Thai characters display broken behind these unwanted tags. Sometimes the font set to Tahoma or Gulim. But I have no idea which font selected by what
... See more
Hello all.

1. Source Language: Korean
Target Language: Thai
Source file format: HTML files including XML
Used Trados version: 5.5

2. Symptom:
After editing TTX file with Tag Editor, unwanted new tags added randomly. i.e. . Every Thai characters display broken behind these unwanted tags. Sometimes the font set to Tahoma or Gulim. But I have no idea which font selected by what rule. More weirdly, this symptom does not occur from time to time even after ttx file editing. Currently file edition is been doing by Thai native proof-readers. They are not who translated the file. Please see below 'history' for more details.

3. History:
1) Translation done: It is done by multilingual ventor. Trados 5.5 was used on KR windows XP. They seem to set default font to "Tahoma", but I am not sure.
2) Proof-reading started: Thai native proof readers are doing this job now in Thai. They started it with Trados 6.0 with TH Win Xp.
3) Problem Occured: We met this problem and thought it could be occured due to different trados version and window locale file.
4) Change environment: We downgraded trados version to 5.5 and changed the Windows system to KR one. Made the same environment as translators.
5) But the problem was not resolved yet. Proof readers just open the ttx file with their licensed tag editors and modify the texts. Save the file and to see that with a supported viewer. Unwanted fonts added and characters broken.

Is here anybody experienced this problem?
Thanks.
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 23:12
German to English
+ ...
TTX format Nov 16, 2004

Hello,

there are some relevant changes in the TTX file format between Trados 5 and 6.

I think it is recommend to update all versions to Trdos 6.55 which seems to be better in the unicode support.

Maybe it is a problem of the source file format. Can you give some more details of the source file format ?

Sometimes the problem comes form unwanted rtf information in the Translation units of a TM. We have the same problem with some East European lan
... See more
Hello,

I think it is recommend to update all versions to Trdos 6.55 which seems to be better in the unicode support.

Maybe it is a problem of the source file format. Can you give some more details of the source file format ?

Sometimes the problem comes form unwanted rtf information in the Translation units of a TM. We have the same problem with some East European languages in Trados 5. A workaround was to export the whole memory, open as text an manualley change the fonts names in the header of the export files.

With kind regards
Hans

[Edited at 2004-11-16 19:38]
Collapse

KyungMin
KyungMin
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: TTX format Nov 17, 2004

DSC wrote:

Hello,

Sometimes the problem comes form unwanted rtf information in the Translation units of a TM. We have the same problem with some East European languages in Trados 5. A workaround was to export the whole memory, open as text an manualley change the fonts names in the header of the export files.

With kind regards
Hans

[Edited at 2004-11-16 19:38]

Thanks for your interests, Hans.

The file format is XML including HTML tags.

Actually when we found out this problem at first, we used trados 6.0. We expected the reason could be the version difference since our 1st translators (they are translation company employees which we hired) used trados 5.0. So we downgraded and still have the same problem...

Currently our proof-readers don't use TM. Of course 1st translators created TM by themselves during translation session. But proof-readers only open empty TM and see texts & modify with workbench. Could it be a reason of the problem?

And Hans, could you kindly let me know how you erase those unwanted tags? That should be very helpful. Thank you very much.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 23:12
German to English
+ ...
ini file Nov 17, 2004

Hello,

yo should also take a look on the settings in your ini file. There are some possibilities to work with entities.

Another point is to check the source xml files (unicode definition in the header?, correct data structure ?).

Are there "unknown" warning when you make a verify of your ttx file?

With kind regards

Hans

KyungMin
KyungMin
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem resolved Nov 17, 2004

DSC wrote:

Hello,

yo should also take a look on the settings in your ini file. There are some possibilities to work with entities.

Another point is to check the source xml files (unicode definition in the header?, correct data structure ?).

Are there "unknown" warning when you make a verify of your ttx file?

With kind regards

Hans

Thank you very much, Hans.
We could find out an answer key from you hint. ^_^
What exactly wrong was target language's default font.

note to anybody read this thread due to same or similar reason with me: Source language defualt font and target language default font should be set same in every trados used in the same project. i.e. If one translator set source language default font to 'arial' and target language default font to 'gulim', every other translators and proof readers must set their default fonts to 'arial' and 'gulim'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwanted tags added after editing files by tag editor.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »