Thread poster: Sean Linney (X)
Sean Linney (X)
Sean Linney (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:07
French to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2004

I've just bought Trados Freelance 6.5.5 through the TGB scheme. After downloading the various files from the Trados website, I tried to open the installation file for Workbench using Winzip, but kept getting error messages telling me that the files being unzipped were 'damaged.' I tried downloading and unzipping again using a different unzip tool (PKZip) but got exactly the same result. Has anyone else experienced this problem? My operating system is Windows 98 Second Edition, by the way.

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Try launching the file Nov 21, 2004

Sean Linney wrote:
I tried to open the installation file for Workbench using Winzip, but kept getting error messages telling me that the files being unzipped were 'damaged.' I tried downloading and unzipping again using a different unzip tool (PKZip) but got exactly the same result.

Hello Sean

Try double-clicking on the .exe file to open it, the decompression should start automatically - if I remember correctly, it's a self-expanding file and there is no need to use a separate uncompressing utility.

Best luck

Sean Linney (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Muja Nov 21, 2004

Your're right, it is a .exe file, and I have been double-clicking on it. The decompression starts automatically but quickly breaks down. The error message is as follows:

Extracting TRADOS 6.5 Freelance.msi
bad CRC 8a06c799 (should be 937a37aa)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (1425418) does not match the uncompressed size (1425408) recorded in the zip file

The message also states that it might be caused by a file transfer error, which I suppose refer
... See more
Your're right, it is a .exe file, and I have been double-clicking on it. The decompression starts automatically but quickly breaks down. The error message is as follows:

Warning: the size of the extracted file (1425418) does not match the uncompressed size (1425408) recorded in the zip file

The message also states that it might be caused by a file transfer error, which I suppose refers to the download process. I've mailed the Trados support centre and am awaiting their reply. Frustrating, when you've spent so much money on new software.
Collapse

Anna Kasianenko
Anna Kasianenko
Ukraine
Local time: 20:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Nov 21, 2004

Sean Linney wrote:

The message also states that it might be caused by a file transfer error, which I suppose refers to the download process. I've mailed the Trados support centre and am awaiting their reply. Frustrating, when you've spent so much money on new software.

Perhaps this will help: update your ZIP tool to the latest version

Sean Linney (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Delice Nov 21, 2004

I'll give that a try.

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
try to download again? Nov 21, 2004

If the problem is a transfer error, can you download the file again and see if it is better this time?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:07
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Corrupt file Nov 22, 2004

Sean Linney wrote:

The file is most probably corrupt. Sometimes it happens during the download. (It has nothing to do with your "zip tool".) Download the file again. You could also ask your local Trados office to send you the file burned on CD.

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
The same problem with me Nov 22, 2004

Hi all,

I had the same problem with unzipping the Trados download file. I downloaded it several times from different locations but kept on receiving the same error.

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Sean Linney wrote:

The file is most probably corrupt. Sometimes it happens during the download. (It has nothing to do with your "zip tool".) Download the file again. You could also ask your local Trados office to send you the file burned on CD.

Sean Linney (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 22, 2004

Thanks to everyone for their help. I've tried downloading it six or seven times now, with no success. I've also tried using one of the other file transfer methods available on the Trados support page (HTTPS, I think it's called), but that didn't work either. I'm going to see if I can get Trados to send me the CDs.

Thanks again
Sean

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:07
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Corrupt at the source? Nov 22, 2004

If the file is still corrupt even after several downloads, then it's possible that the file on the server is already corrupt. You should contact Trados Technical support (or wait for their answer, if you have already done that).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't unzip Trados Installation file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »