Translate feature in Workbench - help needed
Thread poster: Jarek Smoczyk
Jarek Smoczyk
Jarek Smoczyk
Local time: 19:33
German to Polish
+ ...
Nov 29, 2004

I would like to pretranslate automatically a Word document using empty TM. I set the match value to 100% so the TM would not insert fuzzy matches but replaces each no match source segment with its copy. I also checked the box 'Copy source on no match'. But the feature Translate does not work, ie. no segments are translated.

Could anyone give me a short hint how to make this work please?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How could they? Nov 29, 2004

If your TM is empty, that means there are NO translations in it.
TRADOS is not a machine translation tool. It uses previous translation to translate new textes. Only if a previous translation segment (ie a sentence) matches a new one, a translation can be inserted.

Or do you mean something others, as ie pre-segmenting the text?

Regards
Jerzy

Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
clarify please? Nov 29, 2004

So you actually just want to fill each translation segment with the same text as the source? It's only logical that that won't work. Trados doesn't see source as a translation. The function 'Copy source on no match' is only meant to help you focus when you're actively translating a document and there's no (fuzzy) translation. If this is really what you want, you should probably align the text with a copy of that same text, and then automatically translate it. But beware: the TM you make in align... See more
So you actually just want to fill each translation segment with the same text as the source? It's only logical that that won't work. Trados doesn't see source as a translation. The function 'Copy source on no match' is only meant to help you focus when you're actively translating a document and there's no (fuzzy) translation. If this is really what you want, you should probably align the text with a copy of that same text, and then automatically translate it. But beware: the TM you make in aligning is not really very usefull, as it contains source text marked as 100% match!

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Huub

J.Smoczyk wrote:

I would like to pretranslate automatically a Word document using empty TM. I set the match value to 100% so the TM would not insert fuzzy matches but replaces each no match source segment with its copy. I also checked the box 'Copy source on no match'. But the feature Translate does not work, ie. no segments are translated.

Could anyone give me a short hint how to make this work please?
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Segment unknown sentences Nov 29, 2004

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you should probably check "Segment unknown sentences" in the "Translate Files" dialog instead of "Copy source on no match" in Translation Memory Options. This way you will get a pretranslated document where each source segment will be copied to target.

Jarek Smoczyk
Jarek Smoczyk
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Hynek! Dec 7, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you should probably check "Segment unknown sentences" in the "Translate Files" dialog instead of "Copy source on no match" in Translation Memory Options. This way you will get a pretranslated document where each source segment will be copied to target.

Yes, this is exactly what I needed. The problem is that in case of several hundred pages documents, manual preformatting is really time consuming. This solution solves this problem perfectly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate feature in Workbench - help needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »