"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Studio 2009 SP3 - Excel
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:08
French to English
Jun 12, 2014

I have tried to post this on the Yahoo forum, but my message isn't appearing. Apologies to anyone who has seen it twice!

I’m working on the start of what is supposed to be a 40k word project of Excel file translations, and I’ve just come to create the target files for the first batch.
Unfortunately, I’ve found myself confronted with the dreaded "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message. I can't create a source preview either so it's an issue
... See more
I have tried to post this on the Yahoo forum, but my message isn't appearing. Apologies to anyone who has seen it twice!

I’m working on the start of what is supposed to be a 40k word project of Excel file translations, and I’ve just come to create the target files for the first batch.
Unfortunately, I’ve found myself confronted with the dreaded "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message. I can't create a source preview either so it's an issue with the file rather than my translation of it. (Yes, I know, I should have checked this at the very beginning...)
Normally I can sort these out, but this one has me stumped.
I’ve tried the following:
1. Save the file as .xls rather than .xslx
2. Rename the file
3. Rename the tabs
4. Pull out the hidden tabs and rename them (through I had my culprit there – but no!)

Does anyone have have any other suggestions for me? I’d be really grateful for anything you can offer!
Many thanks in advance,
Caroline
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Paul Filkin (of SDL)'s solution ... Jun 12, 2014

... Caroline, the following is from a post ages ago, and it usually works, once you've closed down the CAT tool and removed the files:

+++++
... try removing the usual suspects first.

So delete 3 XML files by going to the following path:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

and de
... See more
... Caroline, the following is from a post ages ago, and it usually works, once you've closed down the CAT tool and removed the files:

+++++
... try removing the usual suspects first.

So delete 3 XML files by going to the following path:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

and delete the following three XML files: (might be better to copy them for backup just in case before deleting)

- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml

In case you cannot see the "AppData" folder, make sure that your folder view is set to "display hidden system folders." Here are step-by-step instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files.

This may help. If not let us know.

Regards

Paul

OR, if that doesn’t work, Paul has another one …

Follow these instructions to fix the issue:
1. Close SDL Trados Studio 2009.
2. Go to the following folder on your computer (you may need to make hidden users visible to see this folder):
o Windows XP users go to C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Application Data\SDL
o Windows Vista/7 users go to C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL
3. Delete the file entitled Sdl.Enterprise.ServerConnectionManager.xml.
4. Restart SDL Trados Studio 2009.
SDL Trados Studio 2009 should now start successfully.
NOTE
In some cases it may be necessary to also delete the following files:
• sdl.projectapi.xml in:
o Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\SDL\ProjectApi\2.0.0.0
o Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\SDL\ProjectApi\2.0.0.0
• Projects.xml in:
o Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects
o Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects

Best,

Mervyn
Collapse

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mervyn Jun 12, 2014

Hi Mervyn,
Many thanks for this.
Paul Filkin has actually been in touch directly and looked at the files for me, and it seems they're compatible with Studio 2014, but not 2009. As I was intending to upgrade anyway, I think the time has come to take the plunge!
Kind regards,
Caroline

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er, not compatible? Jun 13, 2014

Caroline,

Glad you got sorted. I'd be interested to know exactly what kind of Excel files aren't compatible with 2009, though. I have Studio 2009 and 2011 and older brother 2007 too, and therefore reckon I'm well enough served with Studio to be bothered going for 2014. I've never found any non-compatibles to date.

Best,

Mervyn

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure exactly what wasn't compatible Jun 13, 2014

I'm not sure exactly what was upsetting 2009 in these files, but 2014 is coping fine. In the past, I've had issues in 2009 relating to special characters in tab names and the like, but I really couldn't see anything obvious here.
If it had been a single file or a small project I probably wouldn't have seen it as a reason to upgrade, but as it's going to save me 40k of cutting and pasting it seems worth it!
So far, I'm finding 2014 easy to use, and quite a few of the niggles I had fr
... See more
I'm not sure exactly what was upsetting 2009 in these files, but 2014 is coping fine. In the past, I've had issues in 2009 relating to special characters in tab names and the like, but I really couldn't see anything obvious here.
If it had been a single file or a small project I probably wouldn't have seen it as a reason to upgrade, but as it's going to save me 40k of cutting and pasting it seems worth it!
So far, I'm finding 2014 easy to use, and quite a few of the niggles I had from 2009 are gone, I'm glad to say!
Collapse

Jonathan Hopkins
Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
MS Office file filter compatibility not a necessary reason to upgrade Jun 13, 2014

I use 2009 freelance at home and 2014 at a company. I haven't come across any MS Office file compatibility issues that work in 2014 but not in 2009. In fact, most of the known bugs that cause havoc in 2009 are still present in 2014, so in my opinion, unless you want some of the added features 2014 offers (e.g. regex searching within editor, more flexibility in merging xliffs into one file) or don't want to have to manually extract files from Studio kits to be able to translate kits made with new... See more
I use 2009 freelance at home and 2014 at a company. I haven't come across any MS Office file compatibility issues that work in 2014 but not in 2009. In fact, most of the known bugs that cause havoc in 2009 are still present in 2014, so in my opinion, unless you want some of the added features 2014 offers (e.g. regex searching within editor, more flexibility in merging xliffs into one file) or don't want to have to manually extract files from Studio kits to be able to translate kits made with newer versions of Studio in 2009, I wouldn't bother upgrading.

Cheers,
Jon
Collapse

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Finally someone who was able to solve the bug with "Object reference not set to ..." Mar 8, 2020

I have spent now a couple of hours to solve this bug. To me it happened after I wanted to import an Excel file to the Termbase. After which I received the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".
Neither was I able to enter a translation nor to confirm a translation. I tried an update of SDL 2019 up, resetting the view, deleting the termbase, restarting SDl, restarting PC … nothing worked. The bug remained. But after I closed SDL and deleted the files:
- Ba
... See more
I have spent now a couple of hours to solve this bug. To me it happened after I wanted to import an Excel file to the Termbase. After which I received the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".
Neither was I able to enter a translation nor to confirm a translation. I tried an update of SDL 2019 up, resetting the view, deleting the termbase, restarting SDl, restarting PC … nothing worked. The bug remained. But after I closed SDL and deleted the files:
- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml
in the folders
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio in alle three folders 10.0.0.0 + 14.0.0.0 + 15.0.0.0 as well as in the folder C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm15 , I finally got a smile on my face.
It worked finally and the error message did not appear anymore.
Thanks for the tip!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Studio 2009 SP3 - Excel

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »