Thread poster: TTilch
TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:04
English to German
+ ...
Nov 30, 2004

Hello,

I just learned that Trados does not use dongles any longer for freelance versions (I don't know their policies for other versions, though). This does have an advantage on the one hand, but also a disadvantage on the other hand.

At www.translationzone.com you can read the following (excerpts):

"Two Installations Per Purchase:
You are entitled to download f
... See more
Hello,

I just learned that Trados does not use dongles any longer for freelance versions (I don't know their policies for other versions, though). This does have an advantage on the one hand, but also a disadvantage on the other hand.

At www.translationzone.com you can read the following (excerpts):

"Two Installations Per Purchase:
You are entitled to download from the Customer Center two (2) license files to use on up to two (2) computers, provided that only you use these computers at any given time. The intent of this provided flexibility allows you to use the same TRADOS 6.5.5 Freelance license on your desktop and on your laptop when you travel."

This may be advantageous for some people. On the other hand they say:

"A Note On Networking:
TRADOS Freelance is designed to work in an individual computer environment and it will operate on any network. However, when using the new softkey license, you will only be able to operate one instance of TRADOS 6.5.5 Freelance on the same network at the same time. The second instance of TRADOS 6.5 Freelance on the same network will always run in demo mode.
Freelancers should only require one instance on a network. However, should you require more than one instance of TRADOS 6.5.5 on a network, you should buy TRADOS 6.5.5 LSP Power (also providing unlimited languages and TM file sharing capability). Attractive pricing options are available by contacting us".

Meaning: If you own more than one freelance version (as I do) you can forget about networking your computers.

There is one small consolation for the time being (but only until the next update has arrived):
If you own one dongled 6.5 version and one softkey 6.5 version, they still run together in the same network. However, since they don't hand out any dongles any longer for future versions/updates, you will probably have to switch to a LSP version in the long run if you still want to use a network of some kind.

Best regards,

Tanja
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 and softkeys

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »