Right margin problems in cleaned files
Thread poster: Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
Dec 1, 2004

I'm using Trados 6.5.5.438 on WinXP with Japanese Word 2000.

For some reason the right margins of cleaned files have become erratic. I'm not sure exactly when this started so I can't figure out what is causing it.

Example:

Original -

Text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text.

Cleaned file -

Text text text te
... See more
I'm using Trados 6.5.5.438 on WinXP with Japanese Word 2000.

For some reason the right margins of cleaned files have become erratic. I'm not sure exactly when this started so I can't figure out what is causing it.

Example:

Original -

Text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text.

Cleaned file -

Text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text
text text text text text text text text text.

The strange thing is that there are apparently no carriage returns at the ends of the truncated lines, so if I try hitting delete at the end of one of them, the first letter from the next line is deleted, without moving from that line up to the previous line, where the cursor is. And what's even stranger is that copying the text into WordPad and then back into the same Word file presents the same behavior. In fact, I can copy the same text into a different Word file (without going through WordPad) and the margins are just fine.

Let me know if I haven't been specific enough in my description.

Thanks in advance,
Marc Adler
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you checked the formatting? Dec 1, 2004

Mainly if your paragraph is not formatted with a cut from right (sorry, I don't know the right English expression).
You hould go to Format - Paragraph and check the settings there. If some margins are set in the paragraph, check the styles, as very possibly these have this setting, which causes Word to behave that way.

If this is not the case, please contact me via my profile, as I would like t take a look at such file, maybe there is a setting somwhere...
Thank you
... See more
Mainly if your paragraph is not formatted with a cut from right (sorry, I don't know the right English expression).
You hould go to Format - Paragraph and check the settings there. If some margins are set in the paragraph, check the styles, as very possibly these have this setting, which causes Word to behave that way.

If this is not the case, please contact me via my profile, as I would like t take a look at such file, maybe there is a setting somwhere...
Thank you

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
solution found Dec 1, 2004

Just in case anyone out there encounters a similar problem, Jerzy and I couldn't figure out what the cause of the problem was, but Jerzy found a solution: I had been using Workbench to clean up my files, but if I use the tw4winClean.Main macro to clean up the file, the formatting is maintained, and the problem is solved. (I didn't even know about the macro!)

Thanks to Jerzy for his off-line help in this problem.

Marc Adler

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Right margin problems in cleaned files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »