Elena Ghetti
Elena Ghetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 1, 2004

I must translate a text in Word 2002 with Trados. The text is full of comments that should be retained (although not translated). The open/get comments create actually two segments one, for my sentence and one around the comment, and these two segments upset Workbench completely so it's impossible to close them. Any idea other than remove comments and add them back in the end? (which is a lot of work)

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:02
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor? Dec 1, 2004

Maybe the problem can be avoided if you save the files as .rtf and translate them in TagEditor?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word comments are not supported Dec 1, 2004

Hi Elena,
AFAIK Trados does not support the translation of Word comments. I have tried to use the subsegment function (Alt + subsegment number), like for a footnote, but that doesn't work in this case.

However, comments placed in the target segment are no problem (I generally use them to highlight any problems, or to add comments on the source text). Therefore, you could place a new comment in the target segment, and copy/paste the comment text.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use T-Window for Clipboard Dec 1, 2004

This will be not very convenient, but in this way you will retain any comments and not mess up your TM, as only the sentences would be translated. Depending on how long the text is and how many commented segements do you have it could be possible to combine both methods and translate everything uncommented in the usuall way, leaving the commented sentences as they are and afterwards translate them with T-Window for Clipboard.

Regards
Jerzy

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I never try this but... Dec 1, 2004

...maybe this way:

In WB go to Settings/Non -Translatable paragraphs

There open the document and select "annotation text", copy it to the non translatable.

I have no time to try it now.

Just a Idea

Toledo

[Edited at 2004-12-01 11:45]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 and Word comments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »