Thread poster: Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Local time: 04:55
German to Czech
+ ...
Dec 6, 2004

Hello everybody

could someone help me with an urgent problem?
While translating a Word file with the support of Trados work bench (Trados 5.0.) I suddenly cannot close the active segment, neither with saving nor without. When I attempt to open a new one, an error message appears: 33203 - The mark for strating a translation unit is missing oder damaged.
Well, I see all the marks, there should not be any problem.
Does any one know, how to close an active translatio
... See more
Hello everybody

could someone help me with an urgent problem?
While translating a Word file with the support of Trados work bench (Trados 5.0.) I suddenly cannot close the active segment, neither with saving nor without. When I attempt to open a new one, an error message appears: 33203 - The mark for strating a translation unit is missing oder damaged.
Well, I see all the marks, there should not be any problem.
Does any one know, how to close an active translation unit which will not close?

Please advise.

Thanks for your help in ahead.

Kind regards
Martina
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Repair Document Dec 6, 2004

Hi Martina,
Have you tried Trados - Repair document?

HTH, Ralf

Martina Ley
Martina Ley
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... Dec 6, 2004

the repair feature could not help me either. The segments are still open and close to each other, no blank inbetween.
I have two cases now.
Could it be that I cleaning helps to restore the text in its normal form? Or may I just delete it afterwards?

Would be happy about any suggestions.

Thank you.

Martina

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Revision marks, section breaks, etc. Dec 6, 2004

Hi again,
Does the behaviour re-occur when you use another copy of the original (don't do it on your only copy, obviously...)? If so, did you check whether the document contains revision marks (these should be accepted before starting to translate).

Problems like this one can occur if there's a fault in the document - could be a hidden bookmark, a formatting issue, or maybe something else - impossible to tell without analysing the document. If you want me to have a look at it,
... See more
Hi again,
Does the behaviour re-occur when you use another copy of the original (don't do it on your only copy, obviously...)? If so, did you check whether the document contains revision marks (these should be accepted before starting to translate).

Problems like this one can occur if there's a fault in the document - could be a hidden bookmark, a formatting issue, or maybe something else - impossible to tell without analysing the document. If you want me to have a look at it, please contact me through my profile.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Konstantinos Karanikas B.Sc. Electr. Eng., MITI
Konstantinos Karanikas B.Sc. Electr. Eng., MITI
Greece
Local time: 05:55
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
Very irritating indeed! Dec 6, 2004

First, copy the relevant portion of problematic text from the file sent to you by the client. Then go to the file you are working on and use the edit>cut function to remove the affected portion. Paste the missing portion from scrapbook and reopen TM.

This must have solved the problem with the corrupted portion of the file.

[Edited at 2004-12-06 18:34]

Martina Ley
Martina Ley
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is it! Dec 7, 2004

Hello Konstantinos,

thank you very much for your advice!
Great and effective solution!

Kind regards

Martina Ley

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment will not close and error message 33203

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »