Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 00:05
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2005

I have just got a new computer with Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003, among other things. It replaces a machine that had Windows ME and Office 2000, and was driving me mad with frequent crashes. However, I have run into a major problem when trying to install TRADOS 6.5 Freelance. It won't register certain components, because something called Gacutil.exe can't be found. Consequently, Workbench won't open any memories (which I managed to transfer over from my old computer), and there is no TRA... See more
I have just got a new computer with Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003, among other things. It replaces a machine that had Windows ME and Office 2000, and was driving me mad with frequent crashes. However, I have run into a major problem when trying to install TRADOS 6.5 Freelance. It won't register certain components, because something called Gacutil.exe can't be found. Consequently, Workbench won't open any memories (which I managed to transfer over from my old computer), and there is no TRADOS toolbar in Word 2003.

Bizarrely, when I uninstalled it again (figured there wasn't much point in having a corrupted or half-pie version), I got error messages saying the same components that couldn't be registered could not now be UNregistered, because - you guessed it - Gacutil.exe could not be found! Nonetheless, TRADOS is off my machine again, though I am naturally anxious to get it installed properly. Annoying though my old Windows ME computer was, I never once had a problem with installing or uninstalling TRADOS.

So, what is this Gacutil.exe and why is it causing me such heartaches with installing TRADOS? Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I've also written to TRADOS support, but I'm trying to cover all bases here, because I couldn't find anything about this issue on the TRADOS site, and I really would like to get this sorted ASAP before starting up work again for the new year.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional Info Jan 7, 2005

Further to my last message, I have attempted to install TRADOS 6.5 Freelance again, with the same frustrating result. This time however, I made a careful note of the DLLs that could not be registered because of the absence of this GacUtil.exe thing. They are as follows:

Trados.Interop.FilterFrameworkComApi.dll
Trados.Interop.Office.dll
Trados.Interop.Excel.dll
Trados.Interop.PowerPoint.dll
Trados.Interop.WinWord.dll
Trados.Interop.XConvert.dll
Tra
... See more
Further to my last message, I have attempted to install TRADOS 6.5 Freelance again, with the same frustrating result. This time however, I made a careful note of the DLLs that could not be registered because of the absence of this GacUtil.exe thing. They are as follows:

Trados.Interop.FilterFrameworkComApi.dll
Trados.Interop.Office.dll
Trados.Interop.Excel.dll
Trados.Interop.PowerPoint.dll
Trados.Interop.WinWord.dll
Trados.Interop.XConvert.dll
Trados.Interop.SingletonResource.dll
Trados.Interop.ExcelFileSniffer.dll
Trados.Interop.DsoFile.dll
Trados.Filters.PlugIns.OfficeCore.dll
Trados.Filters.PlugIns.Excel.dll
Trados.Filters.PlugIns.PowerPoint.dll
Trados.TmAnywhere.Interface.dll
Trados.Interop.AmTypes.dll

In every case, these could not be registered because GacUtil.exe could not be found. Does my listing these problem DLLs give anyone a clue as to why I might be having this utterly maddening problem? TIA for any info or assistance you can provide.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
.NET Framework Jan 7, 2005

For some strange reason, your Trados seems to have decided that it wants .NET Framework. This is very minor. You'll find it at the following address:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Esther Jan 7, 2005

I guess it's related somehow to that. However, when I started the installation process, I noticed that dotnetfx.exe was being extracted, and then it said it was configuring Microsoft .NET Framework, which leads me to believe that it's actually on the CD-ROM. As far as I know though, neither dotnetfx.exe nor GacUtil.exe are on my hard drive.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the dongle. I have an uneasy feeling that this may not be connected properly. I've left the driver for it b
... See more
I guess it's related somehow to that. However, when I started the installation process, I noticed that dotnetfx.exe was being extracted, and then it said it was configuring Microsoft .NET Framework, which leads me to believe that it's actually on the CD-ROM. As far as I know though, neither dotnetfx.exe nor GacUtil.exe are on my hard drive.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the dongle. I have an uneasy feeling that this may not be connected properly. I've left the driver for it behind on my old machine.

Some good news is that I have successfully installed MultiTerm iX. However, it asks me to log in, which is a bit unusual. MultiTerm at least registered all the DLLs it was supposed to, and appears to be functioning normally, apart from the request to log in.

Thanks again for your assistance, but I hope some others might add their knowledge or ideas here, if there are any other known solutions.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:05
English to German
+ ...
Was the .NET framework installed properly? Jan 7, 2005

Hi Rowan,
Gacutil.exe, the Global Assembly Cache Tool, is part of Microsoft .NET Framework Tools. The .NET framework is installed during Trados installation (just installed 6.5.5.439 last night...), but within a separate process, which you need to confirm. Did you approve that installation, and did it complete p
... See more
Hi Rowan,
Gacutil.exe, the Global Assembly Cache Tool, is part of Microsoft .NET Framework Tools. The .NET framework is installed during Trados installation (just installed 6.5.5.439 last night...), but within a separate process, which you need to confirm. Did you approve that installation, and did it complete properly?

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to Square One :-( Jan 7, 2005

I tried Esther's suggestion, and downloaded Microsoft.NET onto my hard drive, then tried installing TRADOS Freelance Edition 6.5 once more. Exactly the same thing happened. The same 14 DLLs simply won't be registered because GacUtil.exe can't be found! I can't understand this at all. It's utter madness. There's no rhyme or reason to it. TRADOS 6.5 is supposed to work better with Windows XP, so why is it doing this stupid thing? This Microsoft.NET thing seems to be included on the CD-ROM. There w... See more
I tried Esther's suggestion, and downloaded Microsoft.NET onto my hard drive, then tried installing TRADOS Freelance Edition 6.5 once more. Exactly the same thing happened. The same 14 DLLs simply won't be registered because GacUtil.exe can't be found! I can't understand this at all. It's utter madness. There's no rhyme or reason to it. TRADOS 6.5 is supposed to work better with Windows XP, so why is it doing this stupid thing? This Microsoft.NET thing seems to be included on the CD-ROM. There was never a problem with installing or uninstalling it on Windows ME, so I can't for the life of me understand why this has arisen in Windows XP, which is supposed to be a much superior OS (and I'm already finding it to be so in many other respects). Incidentally, I have Service Pack 2, which all the extra security features. Don't know whether that's causing some sort of issue.

On the plus side, I've managed to get MultiTerm installed and have recreated my assorted glossaries. So that's in business, although I'm getting a rather disturbing SmartHeap library error message when I close it. But it does seem to be functioning as it should.

However, I'm stuffed like a Christmas turkey without TRADOS Translator's Workbench. There's got to be some solution to this baffling and maddening problem, but I'm absolutely stumped as to what it might be. I really need to get it going by early next week. Thanks for your help so far, but unfortunately, I'm no closer to finding a solution.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Did you install it Jan 7, 2005

Rowan Morrell wrote:

I tried Esther's suggestion, and downloaded Microsoft.NET onto my hard drive

ROWAN M.[/quote]

You downloaded it, but did you run the installation?

I suggest you uninstall Trados completely, install .NET Framework and then install Trados.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-01-07 14:46]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
NET.Framework is delivered as part of Trados Jan 7, 2005

Hi! As Ralf had suggested, Trados seem to use only a certain type of .dlls and introduce their own. Hence it is adv. to follow the solution as deliverd by Trados people.Rgds, Brandis

Victor Foster
Victor Foster
United States
Local time: 06:05
French to English
+ ...
have you checked the Trados knowledge base Jan 8, 2005

Have you checked the Trados knowledge base to see if others have encountered similar problems. it could be a known issue. You say you have SP2 installed. SP2 has been known to break applications. this is sometimes due to the firewall feature that is turned on by default. I wonder if the GacUtil.exe file needs to access the net or .Net framework for some reason inoorder to work? In that case you may need to create an exception ( this is a tab in the firewall window) that will allow it access to t... See more
Have you checked the Trados knowledge base to see if others have encountered similar problems. it could be a known issue. You say you have SP2 installed. SP2 has been known to break applications. this is sometimes due to the firewall feature that is turned on by default. I wonder if the GacUtil.exe file needs to access the net or .Net framework for some reason inoorder to work? In that case you may need to create an exception ( this is a tab in the firewall window) that will allow it access to the net since you already have SP2 installed. I'm not sure, it sounds like an interesting problem. I'd try the knowledge base and googling this gacUtil.exe to see what it is and what it does. That's my two cents.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados KB Jan 8, 2005

Good point, Victor.
Daniel Brockman of Trados posted a link to this KB article on the TW_users group.

Best regards,
Ralf

Rowan Morrell
New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Appears Solved Jan 9, 2005

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance here. TRADOS Support got back to me and pointed me to the link below, which I'll provide for anyone else who may encounter this problem in the future:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1439

I downloaded the batch file and applied it. It appears to have worked, because Workbench is now running normally. Thanks again th
... See more
Thanks to everyone who offered assistance here. TRADOS Support got back to me and pointed me to the link below, which I'll provide for anyone else who may encounter this problem in the future:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1439

I downloaded the batch file and applied it. It appears to have worked, because Workbench is now running normally. Thanks again though to everyone who offered an idea here.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.
Collapse

Vittorio Preite
Vittorio Preite  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:05
English to Italian
+ ...
An expensive pup Feb 1, 2005

Dear friend, do not be surprised. I have installed mine, after some a...ing about. It's there. It even works! Until I made a mistake in some segment or want to go back and edit something.
It flashes some incomprehesible message in computerese and stops there. Any key I press makes a bell ring. HELP button. Not a sausage. I now call it: "Trados the mule". Half way into my reanslation I have to give up and start manulayy all over again.
800 pages of printed manuals do not help,it's al
... See more
Dear friend, do not be surprised. I have installed mine, after some a...ing about. It's there. It even works! Until I made a mistake in some segment or want to go back and edit something.
It flashes some incomprehesible message in computerese and stops there. Any key I press makes a bell ring. HELP button. Not a sausage. I now call it: "Trados the mule". Half way into my reanslation I have to give up and start manulayy all over again.
800 pages of printed manuals do not help,it's all same computerese jargon.
I have thrown it to one side as it was costing me precious transalation time. The most expensive mistake of my life.
Pehaps we should start a club of "The Disenchanted Trados Buyers Club". Buyers not users. I have given up on mine. Yours in sorrow. Vittorio.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What's the error message? Feb 1, 2005

Hi Vittorio,
It flashes some incomprehesible message in computerese and stops there.

What error message do you get? It might tell us something, you never know...

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem Installing TRADOS 6.5 Freelance on Windows XP

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »