Studio 2014: translate only highlighted text
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:53
Dutch to English
Feb 17, 2015

I have a doc with highlighted text that needs translating. I would like to be able to import all the text so I can see the non-highlighted text for context, but only have Studio open the highlighted segments for translation. Is there a find and replace route, for example, to lock all non-highlighted text?

Thanks,

Olly

Mariel Varjão Azoubel
Mariel Varjão Azoubel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Workaround (sort of) Feb 17, 2015

You could just open the document in Studio and the highlighted text would be shown in the Editor's TUs as highlighted. Then all you'd have to do is skip the TUs you won't be translating and translate the non-highlighted text.

Now if you're really set on locking them so they can't get edited, you could copy source to target > confirm all TUs > filter all confirmed TUs > lock them. (But then you'd still have to do it manually.)

If you're worried about the word count, hide
... See more
You could just open the document in Studio and the highlighted text would be shown in the Editor's TUs as highlighted. Then all you'd have to do is skip the TUs you won't be translating and translate the non-highlighted text.

Now if you're really set on locking them so they can't get edited, you could copy source to target > confirm all TUs > filter all confirmed TUs > lock them. (But then you'd still have to do it manually.)

If you're worried about the word count, hide the highlighted text in MS Word before opening it in Studio. That way it won't show up in Studio (which's not what you want) but it won't be added to the word count either.
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:53
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't understand this route Feb 18, 2015

Thanks Mariel,

But I don't get this: "... copy source to target > confirm all TUs > filter all confirmed TUs > lock them. (But then you'd still have to do it manually.)"

Is there a way to filter all confirmed TUs on formatting (yellow highlighting)? And this can't be done with unconfirmed TUs?

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
translating only highlighted text in Studio 2017 Jun 11, 2019

I wonder if this problem has been resolved in Trados Studio 2017.

I have a similar issue as the original poster:
I have received various Word documents, with the text to be translated highlighted in yellow.
Consequently, I would like set up a project, add the files to the project and make sure only all segments highlighted in yellow can be translated, with all other segments locked. Is there a way to do this?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: translate only highlighted text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »