TM from WF to Trados (impossible to use)
Thread poster: Mabel Garzón
Mabel Garzón
Mabel Garzón
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I am experiencing a problem since I would like to share a technical translation with a girl who uses Trados. I only have WF, and when I sent her the TM in the Txt format, which is supposed to be the most universal one, she could not charge it.

She thinks it is because of the distribution of the columns. I also sent the "export" version but it was worse.

Please we need urgent help. You can send advice either to her, María Rosich, (also a P
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am experiencing a problem since I would like to share a technical translation with a girl who uses Trados. I only have WF, and when I sent her the TM in the Txt format, which is supposed to be the most universal one, she could not charge it.

She thinks it is because of the distribution of the columns. I also sent the "export" version but it was worse.

Please we need urgent help. You can send advice either to her, María Rosich, (also a Proz.com member) or to me.

She hasn't been able to get any support from Trados.

I suppose the version of WF I have is the last one, since I got it a month ago. I don't know what is her Trados version. I'll ask her.

Thanks in advance,

Mabel
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:15
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Make it simple Jan 9, 2005

Send her the uncleaned word-file, and she can create a new Trados TM, clean the file, and there you go!

The reason why this works is that Wordfast and Trados share the same delimiters in MS Word.

One alternative: Export your TM in Wordfast into TMX. TMX can be imported into a Trados TM. To be sure this works, make sure that all language codes are correct in the tmx-file.

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 19:15
English to Russian
Absolutely Jan 9, 2005

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
Send her the uncleaned word-file, and she can create a new Trados TM, clean the file, and there you go!
The reason why this works is that Wordfast and Trados share the same delimiters in MS Word.
One alternative: Export your TM in Wordfast into TMX. TMX can be imported into a Trados TM. To be sure this works, make sure that all language codes are correct in the tmx-file.

Nothing to add, really...
Best of luck
Alex

Maria Rosich Andreu
Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:15
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
language codes Jan 9, 2005

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

yes, that has been a problem. The language codes were very strange all through the document. They should all have been DA-ES and instead it was full of XX-DA, XX-SÑ, XX-XX, FR-FR, only to say a few of the combinations. I wonder how did this happen...

We will try with the uncleaned word file. Thanks!

Mabel Garzón
Mabel Garzón
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Jan 22, 2005

I am a new user of WF, and as such, I'm learning.

Only now I understand the point about sending the document. I had understood I had to sen the TM uncleaned.

Of course you mean the whole doc translated and uncleaned.

Thanks again. This is a lesson for next time.

M

frmwa
frmwa
English to French
Conversion TM WF -> Trados Jan 22, 2005

All the explanations given in these posts seem to be correct.
To sum it up, there is a topic about this kind of problem at this adress (Wordfast official site, Knowledge):
http://www.wordfast.net/know.php?ToDo=browse&catId=7

Mabel Garzón
Mabel Garzón
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 22, 2005

for this new information.

Mabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM from WF to Trados (impossible to use)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »