Thread poster: RB Translations
RB Translations
RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2005

I am a beginner with Trados. I was asked by an agency to do a small translation test. They do ask that I use Trados and send them the uncleaned file. But since I do not have a TM, what am I to do, simply open the Workbench and translate in word? How will they be able to see my "trados-sills"?

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
English to Danish
+ ...
Create your own TM Jan 18, 2005

If the client doesn't supply a TM, you should just create one yourself: In the File menu, select New, select the desired language combination, hit the Create button, name your TM and hit the Save button. That's it

Jørgen

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:30
German to English
Create an empty TM Jan 18, 2005

Here it is in VERY broad strokes to give you a general idea of how to proceed.

1) Create a TM in Workbench. You might want to read the manual for this. It doesn't have to have any content, but it should have the proper language combination.

2) Pretranslate the test file using the empty TM. This will create segments for you to translate.

3) Open the segmented file, translate the text, proofread, etc..

4) Send that document to the client. You don
... See more

1) Create a TM in Workbench. You might want to read the manual for this. It doesn't have to have any content, but it should have the proper language combination.

2) Pretranslate the test file using the empty TM. This will create segments for you to translate.

4) Send that document to the client. You don't need to remove the source language segments, as the client wants both, so he/she can update an existing TM.
Collapse

espurna
espurna
Spain
Local time: 20:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need to pretranslate Jan 18, 2005

Kevin Fulton wrote:

4) Send that document to the client. You don't need to remove the source language segments, as the client wants both, so he/she can update an existing TM.

Hi Kevin,

Actually, there is no need to pretranslate. Even more, in my modest opinion, it is better skip your step 2) and go directly to translation phase.

Joaquim

RB Translations
RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:30
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 27, 2005

Thank you all. In the end I did not pretranslate, I just translated the file and sent it unclean. It remains a mistery to me what they understand from it (about my expertise with Trados), but I hope it works. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uncleaned files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »