Trados 6.5 WinAlign : what does the little red padlock mean?
Thread poster: NancyLynn
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 06:25
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Jan 20, 2005

Hi,
Small question: I'm doing a (huge) winalign project. Some English segments are spread over 3 French ones. I can link two, but not 3. The 3rd gives me a red padlock sign.

How do I get around it?

Thanks,
Nancy

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:25
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Join segments? Jan 20, 2005

I am not sure what the padlock means, but you can try to join segments (select the segments and press CTRL+J).

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:25
English to German
+ ...
Check other links Jan 20, 2005

Hi Nancy,
You can link three (or more) into one, but you cannot link over multiple levels.

For example, let's assume you have source segments, A, B, C, and D and target segments E, F, G, and H. You can link B+C+D to F, but not if D is also linked to G - that's a typical situation where you get the 'padlock'. Therefore, check whether the unit you're trying to link is connected elsewhere.

HTH, Ralf

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 06:25
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Jan 21, 2005

Now that I am back to work, I'll try what Hynek has said.

You're right, Ralf, that is what happened.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 WinAlign : what does the little red padlock mean?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »