How can I export TMs in batches?
Thread poster: colonias
colonias
colonias
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 21, 2005

I would like to know how to export a TRADOS memory (to another CAT program called OmegaT) in batches, that is, in little parts, so that OmegaT doesn't run slow each time it has to open a project (in OmegaT, every new project creates a new memory).
I guess this option necessarily exists, if not, how do translation agencies send TMs to freelancers? As a whole? I don't think so!

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 10:41
German
+ ...
... Jan 24, 2005

colonias wrote:

how do translation agencies send TMs to freelancers? As a whole? I don't think so!

Yes, they do. Either that, or they use the "Export Project TM" function that becomes available after an analysis has been performed.

Unfortunately, I don't really understand the problem - and if OmegaT really has issues with big TMs, it might not be such a great tool, after all...

Best regards,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2005-01-24 13:02]

colonias
colonias
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM exporting for freelancers? Jan 26, 2005

colonias wrote:

how do translation agencies send TMs to freelancers? As a whole? I don't think so!

tectransDE wrote:
Yes, they do. Either that, or they use the "Export Project TM" function that becomes available after an analysis has been performed.

Unfortunately, I don't really understand the problem - and if OmegaT really has issues with big TMs, it might not be such a great tool, after all...

Best regards,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2005-01-24 13:02]

OK, but apart from OmegaT (we exported the whole TM and it seems to work not too slow): Maybe an agency wants the freelancer to see and work only with a part of the TM because the rest of it is confidential, for example. How do they do that?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
. Jan 26, 2005

Well, in Trados you can filter TMs during export according to certain user-defined criteria such as creation date, creation user, etc. You can even append custom attributes to each database entry (e.g. project numbers) and filter by those. Or, as I said, by using Export Project TM, you could export only those units that are pertinent to the document(s) you just analyzed.

Let me make a guess: You have one big TM for all your clients, right? We never do that, because
a) there a
... See more
Well, in Trados you can filter TMs during export according to certain user-defined criteria such as creation date, creation user, etc. You can even append custom attributes to each database entry (e.g. project numbers) and filter by those. Or, as I said, by using Export Project TM, you could export only those units that are pertinent to the document(s) you just analyzed.

Let me make a guess: You have one big TM for all your clients, right? We never do that, because
a) there are few repetitions to be gained from this (different authors have different styles...) and
b) there are, as you point out, confidentiality/copyright issues connected to doing this.

If you'd absolutely need to have one big TM as a reference, i.e. for concordance searches or similar, you could set that as a Read-Only TM in Trados Translator's Workbench options and still work with and translate into individual TMs.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

colonias
colonias
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Export Project TM" option Jan 27, 2005

Thanks Benjamin, things are much clearer now. But where can I find the "Export Project TM" option?
Thanks again.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Project TM Jan 27, 2005

tectransDE wrote:

the "Export Project TM" function
comes available after an analysis has been performed.[/quote]

tectransDE wrote:

Or, as I said, by using Export Project TM, you could export only those units that are pertinent to the document(s) you just analyzed.

I just noticed that the function is in fact called "Create Project TM" - it IS an export file that is generated, though.

To get there, do the following:
Using Trados, analyze any file(s), wait for analysis to finish, then click "Create Project TM". More info can be found in Trados' excellent online help.

HTH,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I export TMs in batches?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »