Thread poster: Delinguaproz
Delinguaproz
Delinguaproz
Local time: 19:06
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2005

Dear all,

this is a beginner's Trados question probably, but since I'm a beginner with the use of the programm I allow myself such a stupid question:

How do I deal with a footnote? I'm translating a Word document and there are several footnotes. So I have for example footnote nr 1 in one segment, but when I try to insert a footnote in the translation, it makes footnote nr 2 out of it! Same happens even though I just ty to delete the number in the segment...

... See more
Dear all,

this is a beginner's Trados question probably, but since I'm a beginner with the use of the programm I allow myself such a stupid question:

How do I deal with a footnote? I'm translating a Word document and there are several footnotes. So I have for example footnote nr 1 in one segment, but when I try to insert a footnote in the translation, it makes footnote nr 2 out of it! Same happens even though I just ty to delete the number in the segment...

I'm afraid of messing up the whole numbering.

Thanks,
Katja
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:06
English to German
+ ...
Numbering "skip" is normal Jan 26, 2005

Hi Katja,
The (temporary) change in numbering is expected behaviour - after all, you're doubling the number of footnotes (source & target count separately). Don't try to remove the numbers - this will be reverted once you clean up the file.

On a general note, the handling of footnotes is described in the File Formats Reference Guide, which is available for download from <
... See more
Hi Katja,
The (temporary) change in numbering is expected behaviour - after all, you're doubling the number of footnotes (source & target count separately). Don't try to remove the numbers - this will be reverted once you clean up the file.

On a general note, the handling of footnotes is described in the File Formats Reference Guide, which is available for download from TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Delinguaproz
Delinguaproz
Local time: 19:06
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke! Jan 26, 2005

Thanks Ralf!

I hope I just didn't mess it up already...I'd better keep on translating then ignoring the numbers and see what happens when I clean the file up.

Katja

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
Danish to English
+ ...
footnotes Jan 26, 2005

As Ralf mentioned. Additionally, when you have cleaned up the file, your own proofing should catch these errors, and you can easily make your corrections before sending it to your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes with Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »