Thread poster: Henry Vaughan
Henry Vaughan
Henry Vaughan  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2005

I am using Trados 6 on Windows 2000 and have just tried to open a Memory file I have and found I couldn't, error 2. I went to the Trados TT folder and found that one of the 4 files linked to the memory was missing, no idea why because I never go into this folder (Mysteries of Microsoft).
My question is; is it possible to recover the memory or to extract the information and import into a new memory or is the data irretreivable lost?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which of the files is missing? Jan 31, 2005

Hi Henry,
I am using Trados 6 on Windows 2000 and have just tried to open a Memory file I have and found I couldn't, error 2.

Can you be more precise regarding the error number and description?

I went to the Trados TT folder and found that one of the 4 files linked to the memory was missing, no idea why because I never go into this folder (Mysteries of Microsoft).

No mystery whatsoever - although I would recommend to store the databases somewhere else.

My question is; is it possible to recover the memory or to extract the information and import into a new memory or is the data irretreivable lost?

That depends on which of the five files is missing - what files are still there (never mind the filename - it's the extensions I'm after).

Best regards,
Ralf

Henry Vaughan
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The three surviving files files Jan 31, 2005

I went to the Trados TT folder and found that one of the 4 files linked to the memory was missing

That depends on which of the five files is missing - what files are still there

Thanks for your quick answer, the files I've got are .mtf / . mdf /.mfw
Is there any hope?
I have just made sa
... See more
I went to the Trados TT folder and found that one of the 4 files linked to the memory was missing

That depends on which of the five files is missing - what files are still there

Is there any hope?
I have just made safety copies of all my other memories. I suppose it's my fault for not doing it before. But except for Trados work (which I don't use so much) I am Apple Macintosh based, and this sort of thing has just never happed to me up to now.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need the .tmw file Jan 31, 2005

Hi again,
Take a look at the Forum FAQ (there's a link at the top of this page) for some hints on how to use the quoting function.

Is there any hope?

Not really, if the .tmw file is missing.

What puzzles me is the .mfw file - this doesn't belong to a translation memory (which consists of the .tmw file - the main memory file - plus four index files: .iix, .mdf, .mtf and .mwf). Can you check again? Could you have accidentally renamed the .tmw file?

Best regards,
Ralf

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Missing memory file Jan 31, 2005

By freak accident I experienced the excact same thing you've described today. This was a TM that I haven't used for some time, and it was pretty easy to update a new memory from the files I've got, but I'd still be interested in learning what this phenomena is, and what can be done about it.

Henry Vaughan
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The memory files are Jan 31, 2005

The files I've got are: .mtf / . mdf /.mfw
Is there any hope?

Sorry, my mistake in naming the files.
What I've got is: .tmw / .mdf / .mtf and .mwf (not .mfw)

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That looks better... Jan 31, 2005

Hi Henry,
Sorry, my mistake in naming the files.
What I've got is: .tmw / .mdf / .mtf and .mwf (not .mfw)

Now that looks better - it appears that only the .iix index file is missing.

You can try copying the .tmw file to another path, then open it in Workbench, and reorganise the database. If the main database has not been corrupted, this might help you generate new index files.

HTH, Ralf

Henry Vaughan
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench still does not open the memory Jan 31, 2005

You can try copying the .tmw file to another path, then open it in Workbench, and reorganise the database. If the main database has not been corrupted, this might help you generate new index files.

I have copied the four files, put them in a folder on the desktop, opened workbench and selected the memory for opening. All I get is an error 2: the system canot find the file.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Henry Vaughan
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved the problem (I think)! Jan 31, 2005

I tried something I didn't think would work but it did...you never know with Windows.

What I did was to copy an .iix file from a different memory to the same folder as the others, rename it the same as the memory and fool TRADOS into thinking it was the missing file. Then I could open the memory, but it still didn't work correctly with a Word file (nothing happened when I tried to translate), so what I did was to export the memory to a text file. Then create a new blank memory and i
... See more
I tried something I didn't think would work but it did...you never know with Windows.

What I did was to copy an .iix file from a different memory to the same folder as the others, rename it the same as the memory and fool TRADOS into thinking it was the missing file. Then I could open the memory, but it still didn't work correctly with a Word file (nothing happened when I tried to translate), so what I did was to export the memory to a text file. Then create a new blank memory and import the text file. Now everything seems to work fine, or at least in the normal clunky Trados fashion.

Hope this can be of use to others.

[Edited at 2005-01-31 23:33]

[Edited at 2005-01-31 23:34]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Well done Feb 1, 2005

Hi again, Henry,
Glad you could resolve your problem.

I have copied the four files, put them in a folder on the desktop, opened workbench and selected the memory for opening.

What I meant was to copy just the .tmw file, not the three existing index files, in order to force the system to re-build the index from scratch.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Missing memory file, help!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »