Spain
Local time: 03:51
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 3, 2005

Hello everybody,

I would need some help, thanks !
I have a word file to translate. When I open it, I can see, at the right side of the document, a lot of information about the format and the sentences that have been changed in the document. ¿? I've just updated to XP so I thought that was a new feature. Also, the document was all red and underlined. I went to View + Marks (well in SP "marcas") and those "Marks" disapeared.
I started to translate with Trados and I got t
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have a word file to translate. When I open it, I can see, at the right side of the document, a lot of information about the format and the sentences that have been changed in the document. ¿? I've just updated to XP so I thought that was a new feature. Also, the document was all red and underlined. I went to View + Marks (well in SP "marcas") and those "Marks" disapeared.
I started to translate with Trados and I got the message "You can't use WB while Track changes are on". So I went to Tools + Track Changes and I clicked on it. That seemed to be Ok.
During the translation I found a lot of problems when I tryed to open the segments. Some of them opened, some not. I had to fix the document many times with the Trados feature. So I just translated as much segments as I could. I closed the file and I tryed to use the "Translate" feature in the original file. I got the message "Can't process rtf. format". As far as I see, the file has the .doc extension.

I am a bit lost...Any ideas ?
Many thanks in advance !
Andrea
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need to accept changes before translating Feb 3, 2005

Hi Andrea,

The Track Changes function is not new at all - IIRC this already existed in Word 6.0, but definitely since Word 8.0 (Office 97). The only thing that was changed in Office XP is the way in which changes are shown ('bubbles' in the right-hand margin).

Before working on a Word document using Trados, you must accept all changes - simply changing the display to no longer display them isn't sufficient. Here's the relevant section from the Trados File Formats Reference Guide (recommended reading!):

Tracked Changes – tracked changes must not be present in the Word documents to be translated with Translator’s Workbench. If your Word documents contain tracked changes, Translator’s Workbench displays a warning message. Consult the originator of the document about accepting or rejecting revision marks. Then, deactivate the feature in each Word document before translating it.

HTH, Ralf

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 04:51
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
... Feb 3, 2005

Andrea Torre wrote:

Hello everybody,

I started to translate with Trados and I got the message "You can't use WB while Track changes are on". So I went to Tools + Track Changes and I clicked on it. That seemed to be Ok.
During the translation I found a lot of problems when I tryed to open the segments. Some of them opened, some not. I had to fix the document many times with the Trados feature. So I just translated as much segments as I could. I closed the file and I tryed to use the "Translate" feature in the original file. I got the message "Can't process rtf. format". As far as I see, the file has the .doc extension.

I am a bit lost...Any ideas ?
Many thanks in advance !
Andrea

I think you should get a clean copy of the file you translated; with all necessary changes accepted or denied and begin translation after unchecking "track changes" menu option.

Andrea Torre
Andrea Torre  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Ralf and Haluk Feb 3, 2005

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Before working on a Word document using Trados, you must accept all changes - simply changing the display to no longer display them isn't sufficient. Here's the relevant section from the Trados File Formats Reference Guide (recommended reading!):

[quote]

When you say you must accept all changes, what do you mean ?
I'm not sure to understand, sorry
A.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Using the Word function, you can either accept or reject changes Feb 3, 2005

Hi again,
When you say you must accept all changes, what do you mean ?
I'm not sure to understand, sorry
A.

You can either accept or reject changes made while Track Changes was active. Since you appear to be using the Spanish version, I suggest to check in Word's Help function (enter "accept changes" in the Help Assistant): the workflow is described there.

Maybe someone using the Spanish version of Word can tell you the commands? Note that this has nothing to do with Trados - it's a Word function. Alternatively, you may want to ask in the Spanish forum.

Cheers, Ralf

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Interpreter needed? Feb 3, 2005

Well, my Word is spanish.

Mira en tu documento, abajo hay una casilla "MCA" si está en gris, actívala. Después simplemente con la barra de menú "Mostrar" puedes ir viendo/aceptando/rechazando los cambios uno a uno, o aceptar/rechazar todos a la vez. Después podrás comenzar con la traducción

Saludos

Fernando

Andrea Torre
Spain
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I solved the problem ! Feb 3, 2005

Thanks again Ralf !

This may be helpful to others:
To "Accept changes" you have to go to View + Tools bar + Revision
A small tools bar appears. Then click on the "Accept changes" icon. That's all !

Andrea

Andrea Torre
Spain
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Toledo Feb 3, 2005

Tu mensaje no estaba cuando envié el mío...
Efectivamente esa casilla también te permite controlar los cambios.

Gracias de nuevo !
Andrea

[Edited at 2005-02-03 17:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About Track changes , Trados, Marks...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »