Thread poster: Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:38
German to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2005

There is probably a very easy solution to this, but I can't find it. (I use Trados WB Freelance 6.5). Whenever I open a new segment in Word (2002), either by clicking or keying, the segment opens all right but the source segment disappears off the screen. In other words, all I can see of the two segments is the lower, empty one, which jumps up to the very top of the visible screen so I have to move the document down a little every time if I want to see both simultaneously (which I do, as I don't... See more
There is probably a very easy solution to this, but I can't find it. (I use Trados WB Freelance 6.5). Whenever I open a new segment in Word (2002), either by clicking or keying, the segment opens all right but the source segment disappears off the screen. In other words, all I can see of the two segments is the lower, empty one, which jumps up to the very top of the visible screen so I have to move the document down a little every time if I want to see both simultaneously (which I do, as I don't always use the split screen function with WB at the top).

Is there a setting I can change or activate to stop this happening? I can't understand why the document would jump position everytime I open a segment.

Thanks for any helpful hints.
Karin
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Which view is the document in? Feb 8, 2005

Try Normal view, perhaps it helps.

Karin Walker (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't Feb 8, 2005

Heinrich,

I am not sure the view has much to do with it. I typically use 'Page layout view', and sometimes the problem occurs, sometimes it doesn't, which makes me think it could be a Word setting rather than a Trados problem.

Karin

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use Normal view Feb 8, 2005

I am not sure the view has much to do with it.

Actually, it does. You should use Normal view. But it's true that the same thing sometimes happens in Normal view as well, especially if the document contains tables.

Karin Walker (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hynek Feb 8, 2005

Thanks for the hint. The last document I remember where this happened did contain a graphic element (graph based on an embedded Excel file). So are you suggesting this is just a quirk that WB users have to live with? (Because if that is the case, I'll just stick with page layout view, I simply don't like Normal view

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Normal view Feb 8, 2005

I'm not sure if just one graphic element would cause this behaviour in the whole document. But I am sure that Trados specifically recommends Normal view for translating. Usually, the segments are displayed correctly there. In Page Layout view, they are not.

By the way, Page Layout view has another disadvantage:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29190

There's also more space in Norm
... See more
I'm not sure if just one graphic element would cause this behaviour in the whole document. But I am sure that Trados specifically recommends Normal view for translating. Usually, the segments are displayed correctly there. In Page Layout view, they are not.

By the way, Page Layout view has another disadvantage:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29190

There's also more space in Normal view. But if you really don't like it, you can use Page Layout view anyway.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:38
English to German
+ ...
Workaround: TagEditor Feb 8, 2005

The simplest workaround is to save the doc as rtf, if possible without loosing anything, and to translate it in TagEditor to avoid the mishaps of Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source segment off screen when opening new segment

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »