How can I align XML files?
Thread poster: iamsara
iamsara
iamsara
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
Feb 8, 2005

Does anyone know how to create a TM from two -xml documents? Same as you would do with rtf files and WinAlign but with .xml.
Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-08 16:44]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
DTD required Feb 8, 2005

Hi "Dubloc",
XML files can be aligned, but given the customised XML structure, the document type definition (DTD) is required (pretty much in the same way as for translating XML files using TagEditor).

Unfortunately, you didn't specify which WinAlign version you're using - WinAlign 6.5 can certainly handle it, but earlier versions might not.

The workflow is described in detail on pages 3-13 et seq. of the WinAlign User Guide.

HTH, Ralf

iamsara
iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralph Feb 8, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi "Dubloc",
XML files can be aligned, but given the customised XML structure, the document type definition (DTD) is required (pretty much in the same way as for translating XML files using TagEditor).

Unfortunately, you didn't specify which WinAlign version you're using - WinAlign 6.5 can certainly handle it, but earlier versions might not.

The workflow is described in detail on pages 3-13 et seq. of the WinAlign User Guide.

HTH, Ralf

Hi Ralph, thanks for your quick response. Sorry for not specifying the WinAlign version. Yes, it´s 6.5. I´m off to check the user guide! Hope I don´t have to come back with another question

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't hesitate Feb 8, 2005

Hope I don´t have to come back with another question

No worries...
Apart from the need to use a different .ini file (based on the DTD), the process is identical to aligning HTML files.

Best, Ralf

iamsara
iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
DPD Feb 8, 2005

Hi again, Ralph. I read the user guide and seems quite easy if there´s no need to edit the DPD. I just have to align this two XML texts and create a TM to send to a client, and so far I can´t see the need to "do" anything with the default DTD file (edit it or create a new one).

If the client does not specify anything about the DTD, do I asumme I can use the default one?

Thanks again

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There is no default DTD for XML files Feb 8, 2005

Hi again,
If the client does not specify anything about the DTD, do I asumme I can use the default one?

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the concept of XML - thing is, there's no such thing as a default definition for XML files. The very essence of XML is that the author defines the tags to be used - hence, a default XML definition is a contradiction in terms.

Some basics about XML are described on the XML.org site.

Ask your customer about the DTD file or XML schema for the XML files provided - you can create an .ini file yourself (using the wizard in TagEditor), but you need this input.

HTH, Ralf

iamsara
iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
DTD file or XML schema Feb 8, 2005

- hence, a default XML definition is a contradiction in terms.

Sorry if I´m being a bit naïve. By default I meant the two files (Predefined HTML Settings and DemoDTD) you get with WinAlign. Below I pasted the first part of the document. I presumme that the XML schema is the file I get in that location (http://www.***.org/20
... See more
- hence, a default XML definition is a contradiction in terms.

Sorry if I´m being a bit naïve. By default I meant the two files (Predefined HTML Settings and DemoDTD) you get with WinAlign. Below I pasted the first part of the document. I presumme that the XML schema is the file I get in that location (http://www.***.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance)

Then, I use the wizard and I come to the New DTD Settings dialogue, but I get lost because the user manual talks about a DTD that defines rules for writing letters in SGML and I don´t know what I have to select after choosing New DTD Settings.

You say Ask your customer about the DTD file or XML schema for the XML files provided - you can create an .ini file yourself (using the wizard in TagEditor), but you need this input. If the DTD file or XML schema is located where I mentioned before, then, how do I create this .ini file?
Sorry if I´m being I pain

Thanks again
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

-

[Edited at 2005-02-08 23:19]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
HTML vs. XML Feb 8, 2005

Hi again,
Dubloc wrote:
Sorry if I´m being a bit naïve.

You're not - but I would suggest looking into the conceptual framework of XML before proceeding to work on XML files.

By default I meant the two files (Predefined HTML Settings and DemoDTD) you get with WinAlign.

These are HTML settings, which will generally not work with XML files, at least not properly.

Below I pasted the first part of the document. I presumme that the XML schema is the file I get in that location (http://www.***.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance)

The document part wasn't shown, as the forum software interprets commands in pointed brackets as code - have a look at the forum FAQ on how to use the 'quote' and 'code' functions. You could try to generate an .ini file on the basis of the standard XML schema, but that means you're gambling on whether or not your customer included some customised tags in their design.

Then, I use the wizard and I come to the New DTD Settings dialogue, but I get lost because the user manual talks about a DTD that defines rules for writing letters in SGML and I don´t know what I have to select after choosing New DTD Settings.

If you use the matching DTD, the wizard should do this automatically.

You say Ask your customer about the DTD file or XML schema for the XML files provided - you can create an .ini file yourself (using the wizard in TagEditor), but you need this input. If the DTD file or XML schema is located where I mentioned before, then, how do I create this .ini file?

Did you ask your customer for the DTD? The customised file settings for XML files authored by your customers are individual to your customer - hence, Trados couldn't possibly provide a default for this purpose.

Best regards,
Ralf

iamsara
iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
create .ini fole from XML schema Feb 9, 2005

Did you ask your customer for the DTD? The customised file settings for XML files authored by your customers are individual to your customer - hence, Trados couldn't possibly provide a default for this purpose.

I´ve been reading about XML and I think it´s a bit clearer for me now. Let´s se....

Alright then, I´ve got the XML schema, which is in a .xsd format. I see this file is individual to the client.

You said the ".ini file (based on the DTD)", "you can create an .ini file yourself (using the wizard in TagEditor)" and "you could try to generate an .ini file on the basis of the standard XML schema". How do I base the .ini file on the DTD (or schema, in this case?), how can refer to this schema file, whose extention is .xsd, when using the wizard? and finally, do I generate an .ini file on the basis of the stardard schema, or this particular schema?

Thanks

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
DTD, not XSD Feb 9, 2005

Hi,
Alright then, I´ve got the XML schema, which is in a .xsd format. I see this file is individual to the client.

You said the ".ini file (based on the DTD)", "you can create an .ini file yourself (using the wizard in TagEditor)" and "you could try to generate an .ini file on the basis of the standard XML schema". How do I base the .ini file on the DTD (or schema, in this case?), how can refer to this schema file, whose extention is .xsd, when using the wizard? and finally, do I generate an .ini file on the basis of the stardard schema, or this particular schema?

You would need to generate the .ini file on the basis of the customised schema. Thing is, the wizard only works automatically with DTD files, not with schema files. It's still possible to translate XML files using TagEditor, but you will need to add the individual elements manually. Alternatively, you can ask the author of these files to convert the schema into a DTD file - depending on the XML editor they're using, this might be very easy for them.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I align XML files?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »