Do Trados plug-ins work with Macintosh Indesign?
Thread poster: ILS Wien
ILS Wien
ILS Wien
Austria
Local time: 06:10
German to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2005

Hello,
I have a client that uses Indesign and has been sending me pdfs to translate. When I scan them I loose a bunch of their internal company symbols (not good). I would like to try the tag editor but their Indesign is on Macintosh. If I send them the traods plug-ins will they work on the mac? Do they have to do anything special besides copy them into the plug-in file and export the doc.?

Appreciate any tips!
Trisha

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why should you care about the logos? Feb 19, 2005

I would believe they want only the text tranlated. From the textfile you send them they will pick the text back into InDesign on the mac. At least I have a client that does just that, they use macs too and send pdfs around because the format is compatible on both systems.
But did you ask the client if you have to care about the logos?
Sorry I can not answer your question about the plug-in. But if they want to use Trados they sure have to buy the whole program and teach their staff to
... See more
I would believe they want only the text tranlated. From the textfile you send them they will pick the text back into InDesign on the mac. At least I have a client that does just that, they use macs too and send pdfs around because the format is compatible on both systems.
But did you ask the client if you have to care about the logos?
Sorry I can not answer your question about the plug-in. But if they want to use Trados they sure have to buy the whole program and teach their staff to use it.
Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-02-19 03:32]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados Plug-Ins do not work on Macintosh Feb 19, 2005

Sorry to disgust you, but this is what I know.

But you could try to ask your customer for a text export from InDesign.

Regards
Jerzy

ILS Wien
ILS Wien
Austria
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments! Feb 22, 2005

Thanks for your help. It turns out to be true that Trados doesn't work with Mac. I asked them for an export.

Regards,
Trisha

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Sorry to disgust you, but this is what I know.

But you could try to ask your customer for a text export from InDesign.

Regards
Jerzy

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Export with InDesign Windows Feb 22, 2005

Hello,

in InDesign it is no problem to export and import with Windows Indesign.
You should only make the dtp work with the Mac version.

It is also possible to use the InDesign RTextexport function.

You can open the export file in TagEditor and you can import the target txt file in InDesign

With kind regards

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do Trados plug-ins work with Macintosh Indesign?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »