Thread poster: Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2005

Hello all, does anybody have any experience with this tool? Now and then I might have some use for TRADOS Term Extract, especially with huge documents. I usually manage with Wordsmith, but the thought of getting automatic extractions is very enticing. I'll be awaiting your response.

Marijke

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Feb 21, 2005

...to Trados Support.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:37
Italian to English
+ ...
Term extract Feb 22, 2005

I was anxiously watching this space for replies since I was curious how useful others find term extract. Maybe few people have wanted to shell out the exhoribant sum of money Trados want. I bought term extract about six months ago and find it useful. As with most things Trados, it is not terribly straight forward and requires time to learn how to make it work properly. The extracted terms obviously has to be carefully controlled on a term by term basis which can be time consuming. I have found ... See more
I was anxiously watching this space for replies since I was curious how useful others find term extract. Maybe few people have wanted to shell out the exhoribant sum of money Trados want. I bought term extract about six months ago and find it useful. As with most things Trados, it is not terribly straight forward and requires time to learn how to make it work properly. The extracted terms obviously has to be carefully controlled on a term by term basis which can be time consuming. I have found this to be the case even when I used it on TMs. Having said that, it is much faster than any alternative. Although the high price makes it difficult to recommend, I admit that knowing what I know now, I would buy it again.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Echoing Richard's comments Feb 22, 2005

Hi,
I use TermExtract 6.5 LSP. Overall, I would echo Richard's comments. It helps to try out different noise-to-silence settings (determining the selection threshold used by the system). I found the software extremely useful recently, when we needed to extract terminology from various EU directives.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
encouraging news Feb 22, 2005

That's pretty encouraging. I suspected that despite the high purchase price, it might be worth my while. I suspect that if I decide to purchase the package, it might take me some time to figure it out just like Trados' Workbench and associated programs. Trados has offered me tuition for € 100 per hour, for about 3 or 4 hours at their location in Brussels. I wonder if anybody else would want to travel there and share the tuition costs??

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
And what about Fusion ? Feb 27, 2005

Well, i may be off-topic here, as I have never tried TermExtract, but it seems that Fusion offers more or less the same functionnalities... for 300 $ !

It may be worth a try !

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fusion issues Feb 27, 2005

Hi Éric,
Has Fusion sorted out the capitalisation issue?

Well, i may be off-topic here, as I have never tried TermExtract, but it seems that Fusion offers more or less the same functionnalities... for 300 $ !

It may be worth a try !

I tried it at a very early stage. At that point, Fusion could not distinguish capitalised terms (which I considered a major shortcoming). Has that been rectified?

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS Term Extract - experiences?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »