Creating a TM from already translated Excel files
Thread poster: Ayano Murofushi-Arno
Ayano Murofushi-Arno
Ayano Murofushi-Arno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
English to Japanese
Mar 2, 2016

My experience with Trados is very limited so I am hoping someone can help me - I would like to create a TM from already translated (bilingual) Excel files.
Could someone provide a step-by-step guide as I have no clue where to start!
Also, would it be possible to create a TM from multiple Excel files?

I have Studio 2014.

Thank you very much in advance!

[Edited at 2016-03-02 14:53 GMT]

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Creating a TM from Excel Files Mar 2, 2016

Hi Ayano,

With your Studio 2014 Freelance license you have an access to Open Exchange Portal,
there you can download Free of charge the Glossary Converter app which will allow you to convert Excel files into TMX by drag and drop function.

Please take a look at the article below which will explain further on how to cr
... See more
Hi Ayano,

With your Studio 2014 Freelance license you have an access to Open Exchange Portal,
there you can download Free of charge the Glossary Converter app which will allow you to convert Excel files into TMX by drag and drop function.

Please take a look at the article below which will explain further on how to create a TM's from Excel file:
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4718

I hope it will help!

Kind regards,

SDL_Roman
Collapse

Halli Kristjansson
Halli Kristjansson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
English to Icelandic
+ ...
what about Studio 15 Mar 2, 2016

Hi Roman,
I recently got a Studio 2015 Freelance.

I previously did a job in Wordfast Classic by copying the source EN from an Excel file into work and creating an new TM txt file.
Now I like to do an addition of that job in my Studio.

Which is better, to use the already created Wf txt memory or make one out of the Excel file? If you could also give advice on how to do it, I would be grateful.

I just tried to import the txt Wf TM into Studio an
... See more
Hi Roman,

I previously did a job in Wordfast Classic by copying the source EN from an Excel file into work and creating an new TM txt file.
Now I like to do an addition of that job in my Studio.

Which is better, to use the already created Wf txt memory or make one out of the Excel file? If you could also give advice on how to do it, I would be grateful.

I just tried to import the txt Wf TM into Studio and it's not accepted.
Best,
Halli
Collapse

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
I use this very easy tool Mar 3, 2016

http://felix-cat.com/tools/align-assist/

NB! Perform a quick check before creating the TM to make sure that the cells are properly aligned.

Br
Lise

Ayano Murofushi-Arno
Ayano Murofushi-Arno  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies! Mar 3, 2016

I will experiment with the different methods suggested here and see what works best for me.

Have a lovely day!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:24
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Steps for Studio 2015 Mar 3, 2016

Halli Kristjansson wrote:

To convert an bilingual Excel file to Studio TM, see the paragraph on "Excel + SDL Trados Studio" here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/01/15/align-eu/

Caroline Moreno
Caroline Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
Chinese to English
+ ...
How to make TM from already translated Excel file, Studio 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Hi, I have changed the file type to Bilingual Excel as explained above but how can I make the file into a TM? This is one Excel lfile that does not require alignment (as far as I know). It has only the source column and the target column. Also, how can I remove the high-lighting in the Excel file?

[Edited at 2019-01-16 19:58 GMT]

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
English to Czech
+ ...
Use bilingual Excel Jan 14, 2019

First, open your Studio, click on File > Options > File Types, and make sure "Bilingual Excel" is on the top of all other Excel file types.
Then open your bilingual excel file in Studio. You will need to create a new TM during that step (I assume you know how). You can then simply click through your file, confirming and adding into the new TM individual segments, or use the Batch Tasks - update the main translation memories to populate your new TM.

Ines Cunha Jorge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a TM from already translated Excel files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »