Sergey Glushchenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:32
French to Russian
+ ...
Feb 27, 2005

Hello to everybody!
One problem racks me since some days.
I do a translation in the Word (2003) with Trados 6.5 Freelancer. I translate a sentence and enter it (in Trados menu in Word). Trados passes to the next sentence but the source sentence stays in the document along with the translated one and main segment start and end markers. Finally I even can't delete the start marker. Maybe I miss some settings?
Thanx in advance!
Serge G.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:32
English to German
+ ...
Hidden text Feb 27, 2005

Hi Serge,
I suspect you're referring to the same issue as the poster of the previous thread, but I'm not 100% certain if I understood you correctly.

I translate a sentence and enter it (in Trados menu in Word).

What exactly do you mean by "entering the sentence in the Trados menu"? When working with Trados in Word, you have two fields: one for the source, one for the target text. Is that what you're referring to?

Trados passes to the next sentence but the source sentence stays in the document along with the translated one and main segment start and end markers.

Which is perfectly normal: you can hide hidden text and non-printable characters in Word, but this is not recommended (given the risk of damaging tags).

Finally I even can't delete the start marker.

What do you mean by this, and why would you want to delete it?

Best regards,
Ralf

Sergey Glushchenko
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Ralf Lemster Feb 28, 2005

Hi Ralf! I didn’t expect so quick answer, thanks a lot!
So 1. I enter the text by the button Open/Get.
2. The text from the source field is staying along with the target text; all this is accompanied by like as non-printable markers witch wont be even deleted. With non-printable characters there is no problem – they can be hidden.
3. Cause the markers ARE printable!

So finally I have a kaleidoscope of source and target texts and of all the markers in
... See more
Hi Ralf! I didn’t expect so quick answer, thanks a lot!
So 1. I enter the text by the button Open/Get.
2. The text from the source field is staying along with the target text; all this is accompanied by like as non-printable markers witch wont be even deleted. With non-printable characters there is no problem – they can be hidden.
3. Cause the markers ARE printable!

So finally I have a kaleidoscope of source and target texts and of all the markers in the Word file.

Best regards, Serge
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:32
English to German
+ ...
Normal behaviour Feb 28, 2005

Hi again,
The behaviour you're describing is perfectly normal, as documents are bilingual until you run a cleanup.

I would suggest two resources, which should have been installed with T6.5:

- Check the File Formats Reference Guide (go to Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Documentation) for an overview of workflows for particular file types.

- Go through the interactive tutorials (under Tutorials) to see the 'look and feel' of
... See more
Hi again,
The behaviour you're describing is perfectly normal, as documents are bilingual until you run a cleanup.

I would suggest two resources, which should have been installed with T6.5:

- Check the File Formats Reference Guide (go to Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Documentation) for an overview of workflows for particular file types.

- Go through the interactive tutorials (under Tutorials) to see the 'look and feel' of the interface.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Sergey Glushchenko
Russian Federation
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 1, 2005

Dear Rulf!
Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry for making your head spin, you was right from the very outset with your reference!

Best regards, Serge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 Fr-r: source text isn't replacing by the target one in Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »