MultiTerm ERROR: invalid pointer
Thread poster: Lan Trans (X)
Lan Trans (X)
Lan Trans (X)
Local time: 13:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 28, 2005

Hi, When looking up terms in MultiTerm (so not via Word but directly in MT)or perfomring other actions, I get the error message Invalid pointer. I click it away, it comes back, and after several times of doing that, the programme crashes. Has anybody ever had this problem? Who can help me solving it? MultiTerm version 6.2.0
Thanks, Sandra

[Edited at 2005-02-28 11:52]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Database objects containing special characters? Feb 28, 2005

Hi Sandra,
Are there any special characters ($, %, &, etc...) in database objects (termbase names, filters, input models, etc.)?

These can create problems.

MultiTerm version 6.2.0

What does it say after that (the build number)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Lan Trans (X)
Lan Trans (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm version 6.2.0 build 267 Feb 28, 2005

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sandra,
Are there any special characters ($, %, &, etc...) in database objects (termbase names, filters, input models, etc.)?

These can create problems.

Maybe but none that I'm really aware of. I once tried to import strange characters and those were rejected immediately. For others, no errors were reported.
The first time I got this "invalid pointer" error, was when I tried to make new definitions in my Termbase. Maybe I did something wrong, that's why I'm thinking I can undo this and eliminate the error. But WHAT do I need to do? Thanks anyways for your reply!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Need to check the termbase... Feb 28, 2005

Hi again,
The first time I got this "invalid pointer" error, was when I tried to make new definitions in my Termbase.

Did these definitions contain non-standard characters?

Maybe I did something wrong, that's why I'm thinking I can undo this and eliminate the error.

You could try and export the termbase, re-create it and import - any faulty entries should be detected and omitted.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does reorganisation, closing termbase and restarting MT not help? Feb 28, 2005

If not (but sometimes it does), follow Ralf's advice, export your termbase, create a new one and import the old one into it.

I once had the same problem, without having entered any strange characters, but caused probably due to interaction with other programs.
When editing termbase definition you get a prompt, that an email arrived, TM collapses. It is strange, but I have had this behaviour once, so I had to close Outlook for the time I was editing the termbase defintion (I wa
... See more
If not (but sometimes it does), follow Ralf's advice, export your termbase, create a new one and import the old one into it.

I once had the same problem, without having entered any strange characters, but caused probably due to interaction with other programs.
When editing termbase definition you get a prompt, that an email arrived, TM collapses. It is strange, but I have had this behaviour once, so I had to close Outlook for the time I was editing the termbase defintion (I wanted to add/change fields).

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm ERROR: invalid pointer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »