https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/310121-converting_sdlxliff_to_xliff-page3.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Converting SDLXLIFF to .XLIFF
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:08
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes seems so. Mar 24, 2020

Natalie wrote:

Wordbee is mentioned in the 1st post in this thread which isn't yours, sorry for the mess.

Well, if they have Studio (whichever version), they should have normal SDLXLIFF files, NOT XLIFF. There is no need to convert the files to any other format.

Looks like your client isn't too familiar with the tools they use, hence your problems.

It seems the file conversion is done by some other manager that they cannot easily reach. I sent them an email asking them if they can send different type of source files to get different type of target files. Will see tomorrow whether they come up with something else.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Mar 25, 2020

Lingua,

By the way, I updated the previous post that you replied to shortly after you replied to it, but you did not acknowledge any of the new things I said, so I'm not sure if you've seen it.

I get the impression that many of the most recent replies to your original post do not attempt to address your original issue but form a discussion about how Trados does or does not work. I myself have thought that since Trados can't convert XLIFF to TTX, but it can convert TTX
... See more
Lingua,

By the way, I updated the previous post that you replied to shortly after you replied to it, but you did not acknowledge any of the new things I said, so I'm not sure if you've seen it.

I get the impression that many of the most recent replies to your original post do not attempt to address your original issue but form a discussion about how Trados does or does not work. I myself have thought that since Trados can't convert XLIFF to TTX, but it can convert TTX to SDLXLIFF, therefore Trados can't convert SDLXLIFF to XLIFF via TTX. It seemed a logical thing to believe, but: the fact is that Trados *can* convert an xliff.ttx.sldxliff file directly back to the original XLIFF format.

So, there's nothing wrong with your procedure. Your problem is that error message: "Failed to save target content. Problem when converting to original file type." What could cause that error message?

1. Well, my first instinct is that it may be a tag error. Not all tag mismatches in an SDLXLIFF file will cause Trados to fail to save the translated file to the previous format (in your case, TTX), but converting TTX to XLIFF requires a different set of tags, so my suggestion would be to make double sure that all of the tags in the SDXLIFF file were correctly transferred.

2. The second thing is that Trados needs the original untranslated XLIFF file that the TTX was converted from in order to save the translated XLIFF file. With the SDLXLIFF format, the original source file is usually embedded within the SDLXLIFF file, so there's no need to have a copy of the original source file available, but TTX doesn't work that way. The original XLIFF file is [likely] not embedded within the TTX file, and so Trados asks for the original XLIFF source file. Did the client send you that file (I assume they usually did)?

3. It may also be that the XLIFF file they sent you is NOT the XLIFF file that was used to generate the original TTX file, but some other version of it. This would mean that the XLIFF file does not "belong" to the SDLXLIFF file you received. However, I can think of no other way to check that this is so than by using Trados 2007, which you don't have, but... some of us still do. So, if you can e-mail me the original SDLXLIFF file and the original source XLIFF file, I can try to check if the XLIFF file actually "belongs" to that SDLXLIFF file. (no guarantees)

To summarise:

1. Re-check all tags.
2. Tell us: did the client send you the original XLIFF file?
3. If yes at #2, find out (e.g. by asking someone who has Trados 207) to figure out if the XLIFF file "belongs" to the SDXLIFF file.

Samuel

[Edited at 2020-03-25 07:04 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some news, please help. Mar 25, 2020

The client followed my instruction to send source xliffs in order for me to produce target xliffs. I open the first file and tags, etc is structured completely differently, there's no communication between the file and my TM whatsoever. When I open the file there's source language on both sides, with tags placed differently and it seems my TM can't pick it up. What do I do, there's no way I'm gonna be placing the translations manually between all those tags, that would be an extremely long task.... See more
The client followed my instruction to send source xliffs in order for me to produce target xliffs. I open the first file and tags, etc is structured completely differently, there's no communication between the file and my TM whatsoever. When I open the file there's source language on both sides, with tags placed differently and it seems my TM can't pick it up. What do I do, there's no way I'm gonna be placing the translations manually between all those tags, that would be an extremely long task. Please advise.

[Edited at 2020-03-25 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Mar 25, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
The client followed my instruction to send source xliffs in order for me to produce target xliffs. I open the first file and tags, etc is structured completely differently...

Yes, that is to be expected. The way that Trados 2007 tags an XLIFF file (in order to produce a TTX file) is different from the way Trados 2014/17/19 tags either an XLIFF file or a TTX file (in order to produce an SDLXLIFF file).

By the way, one of the reasons why some of my clients still use the TTX format is that it enables them to mark certain portions of text as untranslatable in ways that they can't do with SDLXLIFF easily. If this is so, then there may be content in the XLIFF file that you are not supposed to translate. Or, some tag sets in the XLIFF file which are merged into a single tag in the TTX file will appear as separate tags in the newly created SDLXLIFF file.

Let's go back to the original job (from before you posted your first question), shall we? In the original job, did you check for and fix all tag errors? And, does the client usually send you only an SDLXLIFF file (i.e. one that ends in .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff) or does he usually also send you an accompanying XLIFF file (i.e. one that has a similar name but ends only in .xliff)?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks Samuel please see below: Mar 25, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Let's go back to the original job (from before you posted your first question), shall we? In the original job, did you check for and fix all tag errors? And, does the client usually send you only an SDLXLIFF file (i.e. one that ends in .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff) or does he usually also send you an accompanying XLIFF file (i.e. one that has a similar name but ends only in .xliff)?

They always send .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff only so far. So this can't be resolved without the 2007 and/or2009? I have these versions somewhere in my Trados account, would it make sense to dig them out and reinstall them just for this purpose? Not sure if it would even be possible to revive them now.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Mar 25, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Does the client usually send you only an SDLXLIFF file (i.e. one that ends in .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff) or does he usually also send you an accompanying XLIFF file (i.e. one that has a similar name but ends only in .xliff)?

They always send .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff only so far.

Okay, well that is probably the end of my expertise, unfortunately. In my tests, my version of Trados (2019) required the original file, so I don't know how you were able to create the XLIFF files previously.

So this can't be resolved without the 2007...?

I don't know. If you had Trados 2007, then I would suggest that you use it to see if you can convert the TTX file to XLIFF, but that would only be a temporary solution, and it might not work anyway.

I have these versions somewhere in my Trados account, would it make sense to dig them out and reinstall them just for this purpose? Not sure if it would even be possible to revive them now.

You won't be able to reinstall Trados 2009 if you had "upgraded" to the later version, but you may still be able to install Trados 2007, because it is a separate product and is not affected by upgrading.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:08
English to Russian
The job is done Mar 25, 2020

They sent you sdlxliff files. You have translated and returned them. Your task is finished.
Now they send you new xliff files. Treat as a new translation task.

[Edited at 2020-03-25 21:56 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Partially true. Mar 25, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

They sent you sdlxliff files. You have translated and returned them. Your task is finished.
Now they send you new xliff files. Treat as a new translation task.

[Edited at 2020-03-25 20:47 GMT]

Re. newly arrived source .xliff files:

Had to go through all the files and actually my TM started recognizing segments, at some places it was easier to do than at others but I could go through it by simply adjusting tags (click on target segment, TM segment pops up, I adjust tags using Trados shortcuts/workarounds). Of course it took more time than fully parallel segments would but it was still a reasonable amount of additional time, about 1-2 hrs on 20 files.

Thank you all for your inputs (@Samuel, Stepan, Natalie, hope I didn't forget anyone), as each single insight helped reaching the solution. I will make sure this client prepares .xliff files to begin with for any future projects.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2020-03-25 20:57 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
With SDLXLIFF, the job isn't necessarily done Mar 26, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
They sent you SDLXLIFF files. You have translated and returned them. Your task is finished.

No, I think it's more complex than that. If a client sent me just an XLIFF or TTX file, then obviously my job is done once the file is translated and delivered, unless we had agreed on something else. But if a client sent me a package, or a file that includes the source file, or the source file separately, then it would not be unreasonable to suspect that the client might not want the bilingual file only, but also the final translation in the original format. This is why I always ask [new] clients what files (i.e. files in which format) they want to have returned.

SDLXLIFF files usually have the source files embedded in them, which means that a translator using Trados can generate the target files (and check them for e.g. formatting problems) without further ado. In addition, it is a normal part of Trados to be able to generate the final file in the original format from a .ttx.sdlxliff file, so it would not be unreasonable in such a case for a client to expect to receive the final translated file either. (I understand, of course, that translators who do NOT use Trados to translate SDLXLIFF files won't be able to do this).

From what Lingua said, I take it the client expects to receive the translation in the original format. So, if she can only supply a translated SDLXLIFF file, she may be supplying only half of what the client wants, or (if the client doesn't have the necessary tools) something that the client can't use at all.

(Some clients do actually expect that a format check is "included" in the rate for translation of a non-embedded bilingual file format, e.g. TXLF and TXML, but how unreasonable that is, is something that one has to negotiate with each client.)

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:08
English to Russian
Thank you. But actually I know how SDLXLIFF works Mar 26, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
if a client sent me a package

Who told you, they sent a package?
They always send .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff only so far.

Samuel Murray wrote:
if she can only supply a translated SDLXLIFF file, she may be supplying only half of what the client wants

No matter what the client wants. With the starting point They always send .xliff.ttx.sdlxliff you cannot give them xliff. Even with the embedded scenario you described, ttx is the only possible target format in this case, never xliff.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Possibly generate a TMX file? Or use Tageditor from Trados 2007? Jun 29, 2020

Hullo LIngu 5B,

1) a TMX solution

I have just delivered some Word files to a client who doesn't handle SDLXLIFF, so I went into the TM management section of my Studio 2019, used a filter to pinpoint the segments in my TM that applied to the assignment in question, and exported them to a TMX file. I hope this worked for my client.

I am still puzzled whether there is an option in the software to convert directly from the working SDLXLIFF files to the native X
... See more
Hullo LIngu 5B,

1) a TMX solution

I have just delivered some Word files to a client who doesn't handle SDLXLIFF, so I went into the TM management section of my Studio 2019, used a filter to pinpoint the segments in my TM that applied to the assignment in question, and exported them to a TMX file. I hope this worked for my client.

I am still puzzled whether there is an option in the software to convert directly from the working SDLXLIFF files to the native XLIFF format. I haven't found any app in the SDL app section that performs this frequently necessary task, but I'll keep looking, in and outside the SDL web universe.

2) A tiered use of Tageditor

Another point is, if you have Trados 2007 Suite, it includes TagEditor. With this software you can step down from the TTX target generated in Studio as already discussed, to generate an XLIFF native target file in TagEditor. For this you will need to have or create a TM in 2007-compatible format, although I don't think that TM needs to be populated, i.e. to have any segments in it. You can dowload Trados 2007 Suite from the SDL software purchase portal, possibly for a charge - see whether this solution is worth your while, having regard to the volume of business presenting this situation.

I should explain that I run a 64-bit Dell machine, with Windows 7.

I hope I'm not adding confusion to this vexed subject, Dear Colleague, and I hope you work out a viable solution with your client.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Would you not deliver in the same format as you received the source files in? Jun 29, 2020

IanDhu wrote:

1) a TMX solution

I am still puzzled whether there is an option in the software to convert directly from the working SDLXLIFF files to the native XLIFF format. I haven't found any app in the SDL app section that performs this frequently necessary task, but I'll keep looking, in and outside the SDL web universe.

If the client actually need an xliff file, I would ask the client to convert the source files to xliff. Then you could translate it and return the xliff files translated. Would be less work both for you and the client, I would think.

Roy

Adam Warren

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stay tuned to the SDL AppStore Jun 30, 2020

IanDhu wrote:
I am still puzzled whether there is an option in the software to convert directly from the working SDLXLIFF files to the native XLIFF format. I haven't found any app in the SDL app section that performs this frequently necessary task[…].

If I remember right, I heard in a webinar held in June, that there'll be soon an app to convert SDLXIFF files to a standard XLIFF. So stay tuned to the SDL AppStore…

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting SDLXLIFF to .XLIFF

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »