SDL Studio 2015 and now 2017 running slow and crashing. Using up to 99.4% of CPU.
Thread poster: Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:49
German to English
Mar 5, 2017

Hi all,

having run Studio in its various iterations (2009 - 2015) without any major system performance issues for some time now (about 3 or so years), my 2015 SP2 started to run very slow on a project containing 11 word files (about 10K words in total). I've processed similar files for the same customer for many years now without any major issues.

My laptop: HP Pavilion with AMD 10-5745M APU; 8 GB RAM.

2015 simply started crashing during the translation pro
... See more
Hi all,

having run Studio in its various iterations (2009 - 2015) without any major system performance issues for some time now (about 3 or so years), my 2015 SP2 started to run very slow on a project containing 11 word files (about 10K words in total). I've processed similar files for the same customer for many years now without any major issues.

My laptop: HP Pavilion with AMD 10-5745M APU; 8 GB RAM.

2015 simply started crashing during the translation process (usually when confirming a segment).

Steps taken:

Restart.
Downloaded the re-released SP3 for 2015 without finding any improvement.
I had 2017 on account, so I downloaded and installed it.
Reorganised termbases.

The slowness and crashing has now been joined by the termbase window sometimes lagging behind. The word "Searching" is constantly displayed at the bottom of the main screen.

I do need to do some maintenance work in my TM (very large) and TBs, but I'd like to know if there is a relatively quick solution to such an issue. (I've been on enforced leave for a couple of weeks and am already playing a game of catch-up with outstanding jobs, so a day of fiddling around isn't really an option.)

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2017-03-05 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 20:49
Italian to German
+ ...
Number of ressources + new features in version 2017 Mar 5, 2017

Hello,
there are 2 types of slowdowns, and I don't know which one fits your case.

a)
In Studio 2017 the search with big TMs once a project file is loaded takes considerably longer because of the new features (it shouldn't be longer if you didn't enable Fragment Searches).

b)
The number of ressources you load for a project (MT plugins, web termbases, more than 1 TM or more than 1 termbase) will instead make it longer for a project file to load, also abo
... See more
Hello,
there are 2 types of slowdowns, and I don't know which one fits your case.

a)
In Studio 2017 the search with big TMs once a project file is loaded takes considerably longer because of the new features (it shouldn't be longer if you didn't enable Fragment Searches).

b)
The number of ressources you load for a project (MT plugins, web termbases, more than 1 TM or more than 1 termbase) will instead make it longer for a project file to load, also about 1 minute and more, especially a big project file. This shouldn't be a problem once the file is loaded, except for a) above.

I'm aware that this is not very helpful for you, also because I can hardly advice you to remove ressources or work with smaller TMs (if you do just for a test you should note a big difference), also I will assume you have not some intensive programs running aside (otherwise shut them down).
If you feel all that is not the reason, better make a support ticket with SDL.

90% payload for your processor is more than *abnormal* IMO and you have to find the reason soon for the sake of your hardware functionning. The Task Manager in Windows will list all processes and you can sort them by RAM and processor occupancy, this should give you a first indication. Maybe you need to clean the vent grids of your laptop: if they are filled with dust this will cause overheating and the symptoms here.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-03-05 19:31 GMT]
Collapse

Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:49
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Issue might be connected with the MS Word software or the specific Word files in this case Mar 9, 2017

Thanks MikeTrans for your reply.

The initial problem occurred with Studio 2015 so tools used in used in 2017 are not a factor in this case, and I use fairly minimal resources - largish TM (700,00) and a handful of local TBs, (though it is worth remembering as I expand my use of 2017).

I've since worked on some other MS Word files without any issues over the past few days, though I did register a spike today with another word file.

I seem to remember an issu
... See more
Thanks MikeTrans for your reply.

The initial problem occurred with Studio 2015 so tools used in used in 2017 are not a factor in this case, and I use fairly minimal resources - largish TM (700,00) and a handful of local TBs, (though it is worth remembering as I expand my use of 2017).

I've since worked on some other MS Word files without any issues over the past few days, though I did register a spike today with another word file.

I seem to remember an issue with Studio and Word from a while back, so perhaps it has resurfaced.
Collapse

Yibeltal
Yibeltal  Identity Verified
Ethiopia
Local time: 22:49
English to Amharic
+ ...
Disabling "Autocorrect" feature could improve the speed significantly Nov 21, 2018

In my case, Disabling the "autocorrect" feature helped a lot (Go to Options -> Editor -> AutoCorrect and uncheck all options for both the source and target languages)

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 20:49
English to Polish
+ ...
Websearch Nov 23, 2018

In many cases Websearch plugin is the culprit, especially if you use Linguee as one of the search engines there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2015 and now 2017 running slow and crashing. Using up to 99.4% of CPU.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »