Thread poster: Sandra de Pablo
Sandra de Pablo
Sandra de Pablo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:09
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 21, 2017

Hi, is there a way to filter out repetitions in the Editor view?
I've tried with the Filters but maybe I'm not getting it right. I only want to SEE the first occurrence of each segment, but the filters seem to SHOW (not HIDE) the repetitions, either All or the First occurrence, or All but the first occurence. Which is precisely what I don't want to see.
Am I weird? I don't want to have to read ten times the same segment when reviewing.

Any help would be very much appr
... See more
Hi, is there a way to filter out repetitions in the Editor view?
I've tried with the Filters but maybe I'm not getting it right. I only want to SEE the first occurrence of each segment, but the filters seem to SHOW (not HIDE) the repetitions, either All or the First occurrence, or All but the first occurence. Which is precisely what I don't want to see.
Am I weird? I don't want to have to read ten times the same segment when reviewing.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Sandra
Collapse

Bethany Bernardo

Natalia Harandon
Natalia Harandon
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
German to English
A HIDE filter would be so useful! Sep 22, 2017

I'm in the same boat, I want to be able to hide repetitions (whatever their form) but display everything else. When reps are outside the scope of a review project and aren't locked by the customer I'm having to check "first occurrence" segments first and allow autoprop. to confirm their status. Would be handy for hide/show to be an option for the various match types.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:09
English to Russian
Advanced Display Filter Sep 24, 2017

1. Exclude first occurrences (to show non-first occurrences)
2. Lock all non-first occurrences
3. Reset filters
4. Filter 'Unlocked'

[Edited at 2017-09-24 10:57 GMT]

Sandra de Pablo
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Locked segments won't be autopropagated, tough. Sep 24, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

2. Lock all non-first occurrences
3. Reset filters
4. Filter 'Unlocked'

[Edited at 2017-09-24 10:57 GMT]

Thanks Stepan, I had thought about that too, but I didn't try it because I understand that the locked segments won't be updated with auto-propagation when I change one of the first occurrences.

But that has given me an idea: in addition to locking the non-first occurrences, I could also clear the target. So that after finishing the review, I filter again the non-first occurrences and update them in a row.

So it would be:
2. Clear target and Lock all non-first occurrences
3. Reset filters
4. Filter 'Unlocked'
5. Review
6. Filter Excluding first occurences, and unlock these segments
7. Have them updated with the updated (or not) translations.

Better than nothing, but I still think the "hide" filter would be an useful addition for future versions.

Sandra de Pablo
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved: Filter New translated content Sep 28, 2017

Ok, the answer was right there...
Filtering by New translated content, you only see the first occurence of new segments (not 100% matches from previous jobs, though), with the advantage, that it will also update repeated segments with any changes made (if Auto-propagation is active).

Hans Geluk
Hans Geluk  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
This is still an issue Jul 17, 2020

Trados 2019 doesn't yet provide a good filter to exclude repetitions, which is really easy to do in advanced filtering in MemoQ. Let's see what Trados 2021 comes up with!

The suggested workaround (clearing non-first occurrences) is very helpful, but I don't see the need to lock them. Filtering for "translated" would do. Thanks anyway

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding repetitions in the Editor

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »