Copyin tags from source to target in Trados 2017 (update)
Thread poster: Anne Savaris
Anne Savaris
Anne Savaris  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:44
Member (2016)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
Dec 5, 2017

Hi,

I remember I've received an e-mail informing that there was a new function/update in Trados 2017: copying all tags at once to segment. I've tried that (a shortcut similar to Ctrl+T, maybe?) and it worked! Nut now that I really need that I can't find the e-mail about this great new feature nor remember how to do that... Could you help me with this task?

Thanks a lot!

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Plugin by Jesse Good Dec 5, 2017

Hi,

It's a separate plug-in that you need to download from the SDL App Store and install:

http://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/copy-tags/758/

If you have already installed it, Alt+T is the default shortcut.

Anne Savaris
Anne Savaris  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:44
Member (2016)
Portuguese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it! Dec 7, 2017

Right, Nora, that was it.

Could you tell me something? If I copy all tags from target to segment at once, do I still need to insert the text BETWEEN tags, in the same position they are in the source? I suppose that's what I have to do, but can you imagine how time saving it may be if it was possible to work the other way??

Thanks again for all your tips!

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The other way? Dec 10, 2017

Hi Anne,

If you choose to first copy all the tags from source to target, then yes, the next step would be to place the text inside the appropriate tags. Not sure what you mean by working the other way, but if you mean having the tags be automatically placed around the appropriate text, I agree that that would be a great time saver, but unfortunately that's not possible today.

There are ways of speeding up tag placement, though. I use an AutoHotkey script to place tags w
... See more
Hi Anne,

If you choose to first copy all the tags from source to target, then yes, the next step would be to place the text inside the appropriate tags. Not sure what you mean by working the other way, but if you mean having the tags be automatically placed around the appropriate text, I agree that that would be a great time saver, but unfortunately that's not possible today.

There are ways of speeding up tag placement, though. I use an AutoHotkey script to place tags with a single keystroke (the left Windows key) and another script to enclose a segment in tags. You can get both scripts here:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/400/t/12964#pi6614=2

If you're new to Studio and would like to learn more about the different ways of working with tags natively within the program, you may find this useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5WzzSZ4ss&feature=youtu.be
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyin tags from source to target in Trados 2017 (update)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »