Thread poster: Marta Scott
Marta Scott
Marta Scott
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
French to English
May 18, 2018

Hi,

I've been using SDL Trados 2017 for a couple of months. I've emailed them about this issue but I need to solve this problem quickly as I've already wasted too much time.

This particular issue (there are others!) is that Trados seems to take a dislike to TMs at random.

To create my new project I did what I normally do. I converted a txt-format memory into tmx using Wordfast, to make it Trados-friendly. Then I tried to import the memory for my project bu
... See more
Hi,

I've been using SDL Trados 2017 for a couple of months. I've emailed them about this issue but I need to solve this problem quickly as I've already wasted too much time.

This particular issue (there are others!) is that Trados seems to take a dislike to TMs at random.

To create my new project I did what I normally do. I converted a txt-format memory into tmx using Wordfast, to make it Trados-friendly. Then I tried to import the memory for my project but an error message came up telling me that:

"&" is an unexpected token, ";" is the expected token

It gives me a line number in the memory but I don't see any line reference number in the txt format.

Really frustrated with Trados at this point! Any help would be most welcome, thank you.

(I can't see how to attach a screen shot here?)

Marta
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Notepad++ to fix your TM May 18, 2018

Most likely your TM file is missing a ";" before an "&" at the location Trados tells you (line, column).

Use Notepad++ or any other advanced text editor to navigate to that location. Line means the paragraph number (e.g. 20th paragraph , or 1549th paragraph), and column means the character number in that paragraph, including spaces.

You will need to be able to understand the language code to fix the problem, for example "  " would need to be changed to " &n
... See more
Most likely your TM file is missing a ";" before an "&" at the location Trados tells you (line, column).

Use Notepad++ or any other advanced text editor to navigate to that location. Line means the paragraph number (e.g. 20th paragraph , or 1549th paragraph), and column means the character number in that paragraph, including spaces.

You will need to be able to understand the language code to fix the problem, for example "  " would need to be changed to "  ".

Have you tried converting your TM with some other piece of software?

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Collapse

Marta Scott
Marta Scott
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jaime May 19, 2018

Yes that's the scenario I'd envisaged - but a more user-friendly one!

I found that in Notepad my TM shows no paragraph numbers - it seems the reference for each line is the date and time of entry.

So I'll take a look at Notepad++ (which I presume is not the Notepad I normally use) - thanks for the tip.

Not at all impressed with the Trados experience right now. However, I have had a response from someone at Trados following an email I sent to their website
... See more
Yes that's the scenario I'd envisaged - but a more user-friendly one!

I found that in Notepad my TM shows no paragraph numbers - it seems the reference for each line is the date and time of entry.

So I'll take a look at Notepad++ (which I presume is not the Notepad I normally use) - thanks for the tip.

Not at all impressed with the Trados experience right now. However, I have had a response from someone at Trados following an email I sent to their website, so I've now sent them a screenshot and am waiting to hear back.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados not accepting a TM. Error message: "&" is an unexpected token

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »