Martin Asplund
Martin Asplund  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:17
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2018

Updating to Trados 2019 I noticed a rather annoying behaviour. When inserting tags into text the program deletes parts of the text before the tag. In 2015 this happened if you did not leave a space between the text and the tag (I think the whole preceding word disappeared then), but now that small workaround seems to have disappeared. This seems to apply to all tags. Anyone experiencing the same issue and is there any solution to the problem? Am adding screenshots below.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 14.24.23

Example document

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 14.25.15

Inserting first tag and writing a bit

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 14.25.33

Selecting the closing tag

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 14.25.48

"th.." is deleted after inserting tag

Martin Asplund
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only for me? Nov 8, 2018

Is this only an issue for me and nobody else? Anyone feeling like confirming that adding tags works fine for them?

/Martin

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Martin Nov 8, 2018

Why do you want to add tags? It is much easier to work when you have ticked the "Copy source when no match is found" option. This way you have already all necessary tags in the target segment and just need to replace the text with your translation.

Martin Asplund
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Flow Nov 8, 2018

Thanks for replying, Natalie. Having the source copied to the target would reduce the flow of writing quite a bit seeing as you would need to delete the inserted text instead of simply writing and adding the tags as you go, much as using formatting when writing in a normal word processor. Also, this seems a rather weird behaviour on Trados' part, so I wanted to figure out whether it is something that can be sorted, something that is only an issue on my computer, or if it is a general bug in the ... See more
Thanks for replying, Natalie. Having the source copied to the target would reduce the flow of writing quite a bit seeing as you would need to delete the inserted text instead of simply writing and adding the tags as you go, much as using formatting when writing in a normal word processor. Also, this seems a rather weird behaviour on Trados' part, so I wanted to figure out whether it is something that can be sorted, something that is only an issue on my computer, or if it is a general bug in the program that cannot be avoided.

Edit: Also if you have a fuzzy match where a part of the change is in tags it is much easier to simply insert tags than marking them in the source and then copying them to the target..

/Martin

[Edited at 2018-11-08 21:47 GMT]
Collapse

Martin Asplund
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again.. Dec 11, 2018

Is this issue only occurring for me? I've reinstalled Trados 2019 but it seems to persist. Would anybody be able to check if the behaviour is the same on their computer? Thanks!

/Martin

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've tried a couple of times and it's fine here (SR1) Dec 12, 2018

idem

Martin Asplund
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 12, 2018

So likely it is something strange with the keyboard settings or shortcuts I use, will have to look into it more thoroughly to see if I can figure it out. Thanks again!

/Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting tags delete text

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »