How many computers can you install Trados Studio 2019 on?
Thread poster: Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 19:05
French to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2018

Hi,

I have just installed Studio 2019 (freelance version) on my desktop computer. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop before the end of the year. Does a freelance license allow me to install Trados on two computers?

Seems like a simple question but I haven't been able to find the answer on the SDL or Trados websites.

Thanks!

Kate

Nathanael Fourie
Nathanael Fourie  Identity Verified
Member (2015)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Trados Studio Freelance Plus Nov 18, 2018

Hi Kate

From my own experience, if you intend to install a second instance of Studio, then you would want to acquire the Freelance Plus version, which includes an additional licence for exactly what you're trying to achieve.

I purchased the Plus version from day one, so wouldn't know for sure if it's possible to upgrade from the standard (one licence) version to Plus, but it should be possible to do so from your SDL account or via the vendor you might have purchased you
... See more
Hi Kate

From my own experience, if you intend to install a second instance of Studio, then you would want to acquire the Freelance Plus version, which includes an additional licence for exactly what you're trying to achieve.

I purchased the Plus version from day one, so wouldn't know for sure if it's possible to upgrade from the standard (one licence) version to Plus, but it should be possible to do so from your SDL account or via the vendor you might have purchased your licence from.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Nathanael
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:05
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Depends what you want Nov 18, 2018

Kate Deimling wrote:
I have just installed Studio 2019 (freelance version) on my desktop computer. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop before the end of the year. Does a freelance license allow me to install Trados on two computers?

If you don't intend to use Studio simultaneous on the computers, there should be no limit to how many you install it on.

You have to deactivate the license before activating it on any of the other computers though if you have only one license.

NeoAtlas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kate Nov 19, 2018

Kate Deimling wrote:
I have just installed Studio 2019 Freelance on my desktop computer. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop before the end of the year. Does a Freelance license allow me to install Trados on two computers?

I'm not sure if what Roy says is correct, and I imagine that if you're going to switch between desktop and laptop often, then constantly deactivating and reactivating your licenses would be cumbersome.

A "Freelance" version allows you to run Trados on 1 computer. A "Freelance Plus" version allows you to run it on 2 computers. If you want to run it on 3 or more computers, then I suspect you need to buy additional "Freelance" licenses.

You can upgrade from Trados 2019 Freelance to Trados 2019 Freelance Plus for €120 (or €160). Just to make it more confusing, they call it "trade up" instead of "upgrade" on the Trados web site.

trade up to trados 2019 freelance plus

https://www.sdltrados.com/store/
https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/mylicenses/licenses.aspx?showSwitch=True

Marcella Marino

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 19:05
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for these replies! Nov 19, 2018

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!

It sounds like Freelance Plus is probably the best way to go to avoid trying to activate and deactivate the license multiple times.

All best,
Kate

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have done it myself more than once Nov 19, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
I'm not sure if what Roy says is correct, and I imagine that if you're going to switch between desktop and laptop often, then constantly deactivating and reactivating your licenses would be cumbersome.

I wholeheartedly agree that if you need to switch between two computers all the time, it is rather cumbersome to deactivate and reactive licenses. In that case the plus license is definitely the thing. But if it is only on occasion, doing it this way works fine. I recently did so myself when I needed to work on my laptop rather than my desktop.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many computers can you install Trados Studio 2019 on?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »