Termbase attached and terns added but only very few terms recognised in Studio 2019
Thread poster: Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:21
Member (2017)
English to German
Nov 25, 2018

Hi

It's me again.

So, I created a new term base for my translation and after initially having terms recognised, Studio is only doing this for very few terms. I kept adding terms while working on my translation but even if I search for them in the term base search it won't come up. However, If I try to add a term that was already added, Studio will ask me if I want to edit my entry and I can see a whole list of terms in the window. Today I tried to add a brand new term
... See more
Hi

It's me again.

So, I created a new term base for my translation and after initially having terms recognised, Studio is only doing this for very few terms. I kept adding terms while working on my translation but even if I search for them in the term base search it won't come up. However, If I try to add a term that was already added, Studio will ask me if I want to edit my entry and I can see a whole list of terms in the window. Today I tried to add a brand new term base and added a term to try it out and the same thing happened - hardly any terms are getting recognised. I tried to reorganise my term base in Multiterm but once I load the file with my term base it comes up with an error: 'Invalid character in the given encoding Line 1 position 25'.

I'm at a loss. The text is very term heavy so I really need this to work. Can I somehow extract all terms into a spread sheet at least?

Can anybody help?

Many thanks

Annett
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
MultiTerm is notoriously buggy Nov 26, 2018

Dear Annett,

This has been a well known problem since I don't know how many years and major releases: MultiTerm only finds some of the terms, some of the time. You can do a forum search on this problem. SDL support says that most users aren't affected by this, but that doesn't help those who are, of course.

I can usually make everything work again by restarting Windows completely and reorganising the termbase, after which everything will sometimes be fine for an hour or
... See more
Dear Annett,

This has been a well known problem since I don't know how many years and major releases: MultiTerm only finds some of the terms, some of the time. You can do a forum search on this problem. SDL support says that most users aren't affected by this, but that doesn't help those who are, of course.

I can usually make everything work again by restarting Windows completely and reorganising the termbase, after which everything will sometimes be fine for an hour or two before the problem reoccurs.

SDL support have advised me that termbases should reside on a local drive (which in my case they don't, technically speaking - I'm using Parallels on a Mac, and for obvious reasons I don't want my data to reside within the virtual machine. They're on the Mac side and appear as a network drive on the Windows side, although in reality, they are on the same HD).

Michael Beijer has reported to be very happy with RyS Termbase & Translation Assembler as a complete replacement for MultiTerm (look for it in the SDL app store).

HTH,
Erik
Collapse

Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:21
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I found a work around Dec 4, 2018

Hi Erik

I actually ended up buying the Rys Termbase, however, have not had a chance to set it up properly.

SDL Support have come up with another solution and I thought I post it here.

After reorganising the Termbase and shutting down Studio you can go to 'View' and then select 'Reset Window Layout'. This actually fixed it for me. Having said that depending on how many hours I work in Studio I have to do it at least twice very day.

Many thanks
... See more
Hi Erik

I actually ended up buying the Rys Termbase, however, have not had a chance to set it up properly.

SDL Support have come up with another solution and I thought I post it here.

After reorganising the Termbase and shutting down Studio you can go to 'View' and then select 'Reset Window Layout'. This actually fixed it for me. Having said that depending on how many hours I work in Studio I have to do it at least twice very day.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards

Annett
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Indeed Dec 4, 2018

Annett Roessner wrote:

Indeed, that's what I keep doing as well, although I have to do it a lot more frequently than you...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase attached and terns added but only very few terms recognised in Studio 2019

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »