Using multiple TMs - which TU from which TM is being 'favored'?
Thread poster: Christian Schmidt
Dec 7, 2018

Hello,

let's say I have a project and made my own Translation Memory. This is the only TM that is being updated with my translations along the way. Furthermore I use TMs that I downloaded from others (for example the IATE TMs). Therefore, TU's that are inside my own TM should always be used and prioritized above TU's from other TMs.

Recently I stumpled upon some issues though. Let's take the following example:

I have the German word "Betriebsstunden" and tr
... See more
Hello,

let's say I have a project and made my own Translation Memory. This is the only TM that is being updated with my translations along the way. Furthermore I use TMs that I downloaded from others (for example the IATE TMs). Therefore, TU's that are inside my own TM should always be used and prioritized above TU's from other TMs.

Recently I stumpled upon some issues though. Let's take the following example:

I have the German word "Betriebsstunden" and translated it to "Operated hours". However, one of my other TMs has the entry "Betriebsstunden" with the TU "Burning hours". I updated my TM with "Operated hours", but whenever I pre-translate other files that have "Betriebsstunden" in them, it uses the TU from the other TM ("Burning hours").

How can I avoid that? What are the rules here? Can I put priority onto a Translation Memory? So that for example, if my own TM has priority 1, it'll always use this TU if it has it in it.

I hope I explained it well enough. But I guess the problem should be clear enough.

I'd appreciate any tips as well as an explanation on how the rules there currently work.

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 06:25
English to German
Setting TM penalties? Dec 7, 2018

Hi Christian,

this?

See more
Hi Christian,

this?

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDK/ProjectAutomationApi/3.0/html/43fda617-f2e7-4962-b54d-017fed931fe5.htm

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Introducing/About_Translation_Memory/inabouttmtranslationmemorypenalties.htm

Ricki
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:25
English to Russian
Re-organize the list of your TMs in Project Settings Dec 7, 2018

When preparing a document for translation, for segmentation purposes Trados uses the TM that goes first in your list of TMs. If you have different translations in different TMs, Trados will present in its Translation Results pane the hit from the uppermost TM as option 1 (99%) and the hit from any other TM as option 2 (99%) or 3 or 4, etc.
The same applies to pretranslation. Trados inserts hits from the uppermost TM. Move your prioritized TM up so that it goes first in the list.
... See more
When preparing a document for translation, for segmentation purposes Trados uses the TM that goes first in your list of TMs. If you have different translations in different TMs, Trados will present in its Translation Results pane the hit from the uppermost TM as option 1 (99%) and the hit from any other TM as option 2 (99%) or 3 or 4, etc.
The same applies to pretranslation. Trados inserts hits from the uppermost TM. Move your prioritized TM up so that it goes first in the list.

And don't forget to re-import your document(s) after re-organizing the list of TMs—this Project Settings change won't apply to documents that you have already imported.

[Edited at 2018-12-07 17:28 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using multiple TMs - which TU from which TM is being 'favored'?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »