Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2018

Hello,

Some months ago now, I had finished dutifully right-clicking on all my TMs to upgrade them (backup, upgrade, reindex, build, align), a process that sometimes took ten to fifteen minutes for large TMs.

Following the latest Trados 2017 update, I see that the orange triangle has reappeared on all of them!

Does this really mean I have to upgrade them all again?

Is there an explanation somewhere of the benefits of upgrading?

... See more
Hello,

Some months ago now, I had finished dutifully right-clicking on all my TMs to upgrade them (backup, upgrade, reindex, build, align), a process that sometimes took ten to fifteen minutes for large TMs.

Following the latest Trados 2017 update, I see that the orange triangle has reappeared on all of them!

Does this really mean I have to upgrade them all again?

Is there an explanation somewhere of the benefits of upgrading?

[Edited at 2018-12-13 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Good to read the release notes... Dec 13, 2018

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=CUs-Studio2017SR1

Regards

Paul
http//xl8.one

Mark Nathan
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Dec 13, 2018

They seem to be taking ages to upgrade.
It may be time to get a new computer!

Mark Nathan
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repair tool for large TMs ? Jan 13, 2019

I have an old TM that contains 132,000 units. Since it represents a few years' work, I regularly add it to projects and search it for terminology. I am using Trados 2017.

I no longer add any units to this TM.

It used to be 200 Mb and then, when I did the "upgrade" following a Trados update a while ago, it became 400 Mb.

This was OK, but following the Trados 2017 SR1 update in December, it was necessary to upgrade it again, and now it is 600 Mb.

... See more
I have an old TM that contains 132,000 units. Since it represents a few years' work, I regularly add it to projects and search it for terminology. I am using Trados 2017.

I no longer add any units to this TM.

It used to be 200 Mb and then, when I did the "upgrade" following a Trados update a while ago, it became 400 Mb.

This was OK, but following the Trados 2017 SR1 update in December, it was necessary to upgrade it again, and now it is 600 Mb.

I must say I do not understand how it can be necessary to triple the size of a TM when the number of units stays the same?

This would not bother me except it seems that I can no longer search it - it just takes too long. I have tried moving the speed/accuracy bar towards more speed, but it has no effect.

I am wondering if there is sort of "repair" tool that would make the TM more useful again.
Collapse

Markus Hoedl

Markus Hoedl
Markus Hoedl  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Same problem... Feb 13, 2019

Hi Mark,

Don't waste your money buying a new computer just because of this! I DO have a brand new computer, with i7 processor and 32 GB RAM, which I actually bought because working with Trados sometimes almost makes me fall asleep when I work on bigger projects (>20k words), but there is no improvement!!

I do the same as you, using my accumulated TM for all projects (without adding new entries), it has 311,000 entries and 1 GB (version 2017). Now I'm upgrading my TMs fr
... See more
Hi Mark,

Don't waste your money buying a new computer just because of this! I DO have a brand new computer, with i7 processor and 32 GB RAM, which I actually bought because working with Trados sometimes almost makes me fall asleep when I work on bigger projects (>20k words), but there is no improvement!!

I do the same as you, using my accumulated TM for all projects (without adding new entries), it has 311,000 entries and 1 GB (version 2017). Now I'm upgrading my TMs from 2017 to 2019, and this TM is already updating for two days and two nights!!! What is Trados doing here??? The "Import" step went pretty fast until about 295,000 entries, then it slowed down significantly and it's stuck now. Yesterday it imported about 10 entries per hour, and there's still 11,000 missing! Between yesterday night and this morning, about 100 new entries added.

I made this "upgrade" with a smaller TM and it increased also from 220 MB to 330 MB. I don't understand it either.

Actually, I ONLY upgraded to Studio 2019 because 2017 was crashing all the time (and I heard from several other people with the same problem). With 2017 I ended up auto-saving every two minutes to not lose too much of my work. During auto-saving big projects Trados is also frozen during several seconds, but that's less of a problem.

IMO, Studio is blown up with too many features nobody needs and nobody uses, that's what it makes slow and unstable, but unfortunately, most clients request Trados.

Is there maybe a possibility to clean TMs from "dirty" entries, such as symbols, etc. that often appear in technical translations? I also noticed that it's extremely slow when you confirm a segment that is only an acronym.

Would be nice if somebody from SDL could make a statement here...

Thank you for listening,
Markus
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Luca Tutino
Adrijana Djukic

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Upgrade Translation Memory" feature

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »