Upgrading from Trados Studio 2014 to Studio 2019?
Thread poster: raimundo4u
raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
Dec 26, 2018

Hi all,

I am making preparations to upgrade our Trados Studio 2014 Freelance to Studio 2019.
The possibility to upgrade from 2014 to 2019 only lasts a few days, so I better hurry ...
My experience with previous Trados installations has not always been very positive (due to the complex nature of the software), so again, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I always make a system image before installing ..
... See more
Hi all,

I am making preparations to upgrade our Trados Studio 2014 Freelance to Studio 2019.
The possibility to upgrade from 2014 to 2019 only lasts a few days, so I better hurry ...
My experience with previous Trados installations has not always been very positive (due to the complex nature of the software), so again, I am keeping my fingers crossed. I always make a system image before installing ..

Does anybody have some recommendations for me when doing the software upgrade? Something to keep in mind?
Can I use 2014 and 2019 next to each other? Or is there no going back, once you upgrade?

I am running Windows 7, MS Office 2003 and 2007 on my main pc.
Windows 10, MS Office 2003 and Office 365 on my backup pc.
Thanks already for any feedback.

Kind regards
Ray
Collapse

Faramarz Hamidi
Faramarz Hamidi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:02
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Do NOT upgrade! Dec 26, 2018

It's my opinion based on personal experience and supported by a list of facts, that you are better off using what you have and make the best of it. unless you are looking for a whole new set of troubles and absolutely love new challenges knowing there is no solid help system to turn to, or if you rather spend more time looking for ways to fix error messages and coming back to this forum for answers, than actually spending your time translating and working on the actual job, then "Don't upgrade".... See more
It's my opinion based on personal experience and supported by a list of facts, that you are better off using what you have and make the best of it. unless you are looking for a whole new set of troubles and absolutely love new challenges knowing there is no solid help system to turn to, or if you rather spend more time looking for ways to fix error messages and coming back to this forum for answers, than actually spending your time translating and working on the actual job, then "Don't upgrade". Good luck.Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Ricki Farn
Jakov Milicevic

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Dec 26, 2018

Faramarz Hamidi wrote:
..... then "Don't upgrade".

I mostly agree with you. I tend to postpone upgrades as long as possible. We are still on Studio 2014 ...
Mostly for the reasons that you mention. If it isn't broken, don't fix it ... Also you don't have to spend valuable time learning new software.
That said, we have to follow our customers. Some customers still demand to deliver them Word 2003 (!) files. More and more customers however are switching to Studio 2019, so we have to follow....

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:02
French to English
+ ...
UPGRADE Dec 27, 2018

I assume in a short while, it will be much more expensive to upgrade. Trados 2019, although not intuitive and still occasionally quite annoying, is eons ahead of 2014. If this is your work tool, upgrade.

You can still use your old version, should you, for some reason, wish to do so. You don't have to uninstall the old version.

You should also upgrade your antiquated sw as well. You will find your work experience much more efficient and enjoyable.

HTH,
... See more
I assume in a short while, it will be much more expensive to upgrade. Trados 2019, although not intuitive and still occasionally quite annoying, is eons ahead of 2014. If this is your work tool, upgrade.

You can still use your old version, should you, for some reason, wish to do so. You don't have to uninstall the old version.

You should also upgrade your antiquated sw as well. You will find your work experience much more efficient and enjoyable.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Before upgrading .... Dec 27, 2018

I would suggest to read this thread first.

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/331111-trados_studio_2019_sr1.html

Good luck.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 11:02
English to German
@Sandra& Kenneth Dec 27, 2018

You can buy the upgrade to benefit from some special offer, and avoid installing it until SDL has ironed out the worst bugs. That's how I've always done it.

Claudia Cherici

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
We have not upgraded, Dec 28, 2018

but purchased 2019 in addition to 2014 because it was cheaper (there are two translators in our household). I would say that 2019 is a way better than 2014.

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Purchased the upgrade... Dec 28, 2018

Hi all,
I purchased the upgrade because, indeed, the possibility to upgrade Studio 2014 to 2019 ends this year. As of next year, you must purchase the full version, coming from Studio 2014.
I just took a peek at the 2019 Release Notes.
A bit to my disappointment, I noticed that you can not use Studio 2014 alongside Studio 2019 after an upgrade. Once you upgrade the 2014 license to 2019, it is gone forever. This makes sense, when you think about it, because it is an 'upgr
... See more
Hi all,
I purchased the upgrade because, indeed, the possibility to upgrade Studio 2014 to 2019 ends this year. As of next year, you must purchase the full version, coming from Studio 2014.
I just took a peek at the 2019 Release Notes.
A bit to my disappointment, I noticed that you can not use Studio 2014 alongside Studio 2019 after an upgrade. Once you upgrade the 2014 license to 2019, it is gone forever. This makes sense, when you think about it, because it is an 'upgrade'. But it's just that I hadn't fully realised this beforehand and I had hoped to be able to switch the license back and forth between the two versions.
2014 and 2019 are not 'physically' limited to run alongside, because as long as you do not upgrade the license, you can keep 2014 running and expirement with 2019 in trial mode. But that is only possible for 30 days of course.
And, naturally, when you buy the full version, you can use them alongside indefinitely.
Note that I am speaking here of the Freelance versions. I believe it is a little different for the other versions.

Kind regards
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:02
French to English
+ ...
Not really Dec 28, 2018

raimundo4u wrote:

. Once you upgrade the 2014 license to 2019, it is gone forever. This makes sense, when you think about it, because it is an 'upgrade'.

This only means that the license number is the same. You will still be able to run both versions simultaneously on the same computer, as a backup, which is useful, until you get used to the new version. At that point, you won't care to go back to it any more. For ex., I have both the 2017 and 2019 installed and running.

Also, you can keep your old version running on your backup computer as well.

Don't uninstall the 2014 version and don't return the license, because you cannot reinstall it with the same license number.

Since you purchased the Freelance version, you should skip the trial period altogether (because it is limited) and keep the old sw forever and always.
HTH,
Sandra

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Dec 28, 2018

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:
Also, you can keep your old version running on your backup computer as well.
Don't uninstall the 2014 version and don't return the license, because you cannot reinstall it with the same license number.

Hi Sandra,
If this is the case, that would be great!
So, even if the license is upgraded (actually converted to 2019), just as long as I don't return the active 2014 license, I can continue using 2014 ... That would be a relief!
Thanks for the tip!

This is an extract from the 2019 Release Notes which had me confused:

Upgrading from SDL Trados Studio 2014
Trados Studio 2019 SR1 uses a different type of activation code than SDL Trados Studio 2014. After
upgrading from SDL Trados Studio 2014 to Trados Studio 2019 SR1, your original license will be auto-
matically removed from your account. To continue using an older version, you should consider purchas-
ing a full license instead of an upgrade.

If you have a Trados Studio Freelance edition, you can continue to use SDL Trados Studio 2014 alongside
Trados Studio 2019 SR1 on the same machine until you deactivate the older product's license.

If you want to try Trados Studio 2019 SR1 side-by-side with SDL Trados Studio 2014, you can use the
30-day trial that is available in Trados Studio 2019 SR1.

raimundo4u
raimundo4u
English
TOPIC STARTER
Installed fine Dec 31, 2018

JFYI.
I installed Studio 2019 Freelance on our main pc and on the backup pc.
Main pc is Windows 7, Studio 2014 installed and running.
The installation on my Windows 7 pc went okay. Only about halfway the installation I got an error saying that the Windows Installation Service could not be started and installation was aborted.
I rebooted the pc and ran the Studio setup.exe again. Now it completed the complete installation.
I have not upgraded the 2014 license to 2019
... See more
JFYI.
I installed Studio 2019 Freelance on our main pc and on the backup pc.
Main pc is Windows 7, Studio 2014 installed and running.
The installation on my Windows 7 pc went okay. Only about halfway the installation I got an error saying that the Windows Installation Service could not be started and installation was aborted.
I rebooted the pc and ran the Studio setup.exe again. Now it completed the complete installation.
I have not upgraded the 2014 license to 2019 yet. So 2019 now can run as a 30 day trial.
During the install, I noticed that the VS C++ Redistributables were installed again, although they were already installed on the pc. Oh well ..

On my Windows 10 backup pc, the installation went fine, without any problem or error message.
The only thing I noticed was, when the installer asked to restart the pc (and clicking 'Yes'), the pc would not shut down because the install program was preventing the shutdown. So I had to abort the shutdown, close the installer, then shut down again. But apart from that, a pretty painless experience.
Hopefully, using 2019 is equally painless. But that is for my wife. She's the actual translator, I'm just her 'IT helpdesk' (her own words..)...
Collapse

Anatolian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading from Trados Studio 2014 to Studio 2019?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »