Marc Garcia
Marc Garcia
Spain
Local time: 07:20
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2019

Hello,
I have to send a translation on trados but I actually have half of the file already translated in an Excel File, so I would like to know if It's possible to paste the cells without having to introduce them one by one.
If I try to paste them at the same time, they all go to the same file in trados, so it's not useful.

Thanks in advance!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mark Jan 8, 2019

Mark GHHH wrote:
I have half of the file already translated in an Excel file, so I would like to know if it's possible to paste the cells [into Trados] without having to introduce them one by one. If I try to paste them all at the same time, they all go into the same [segment] in Trados, so it's not useful.

Yes, you can't paste across multiple segments in Trados, as you have discovered. You have to paste each cell into each segment individually. One solution is to use a script that I wrote for this purpose.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/paste-lines-in-tradosv2.zip

You have to have AutoIt installed. Then run the script by double-clicking it. Then select some cells in Excel, and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C). Then, put your cursor in a segment in Trados, and press WinKey+W, which will paste those lines into Trados. Do not copy too many lines at a time.

If the script doesn't seem to work with Excel cells (it does, on my computer), then first copy/paste the content from Excel to e.g. MS Word, and then use the script with the MS Word lines.

[Edited at 2019-01-08 15:02 GMT]

Marc Garcia

Marc Garcia
Marc Garcia
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not working Jan 8, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Mark GHHH wrote:
I have half of the file already translated in an Excel file, so I would like to know if it's possible to paste the cells [into Trados] without having to introduce them one by one. If I try to paste them all at the same time, they all go into the same [segment] in Trados, so it's not useful.

Yes, you can't paste across multiple segments in Trados, as you have discovered. You have to paste each cell into each segment individually. One solution is to use a script that I wrote for this purpose.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/paste-lines-in-tradosv2.zip

You have to have AutoIt installed. Then run the script by double-clicking it. Then select some cells in Excel, and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C). Then, put your cursor in a segment in Trados, and press WinKey+W, which will paste those lines into Trados. Do not copy too many lines at a time.

If the script doesn't seem to work with Excel cells (it does, on my computer), then first copy/paste the content from Excel to e.g. MS Word, and then use the script with the MS Word lines.

[Edited at 2019-01-08 15:02 GMT]

Hello Samuel, thanks so much for your help.

I have tried to follow your steps but when I press WinKey + W, it pop ups a Windows menu, like this : http://i63.tinypic.com/ogzxb4.png

Any suggestion? I followed the steps the way you wrote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: duplicate post
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mark Jan 8, 2019

Mark GHHH wrote:
I have tried to follow your steps but when I press WinKey + W, it pop ups a Windows menu...

Oh, I don't use Windows 10, so I didn't know that WinKey + W now has a system-specific meaning. Every new version of Windows reserves more and more available shortcuts for itself (I had to reprogram several scripts when I moved from Windows XP to Windows 7 because the shortcut keys got "hijacked" by Windows itself).

You have to edit the .AU3 file to specify a different shortcut. Open the AU3 file in a plain text editor (e.g. Notepad++), and change "#w" to something else that is not currently assigned to anything else. For example, change #w to ^` (Ctrl = `) or to +^, (Shift+Ctrl+comma) or to !1 (Alt+1), etc. Or, if for the duration of the script you're very sure you're not going to use e.g. "1", you can just use 1.

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/HotKeySet.htm
https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/appendix/SendKeys.htm

Remember to exit the script before editing it (e.g. by right-clicking its icon in the system tray... I'm not sure what the Windows 10 system tray looks like, though). If you don't exit the script, it'll remain active (and its shortcuts will remain active) until you reboot.

[Edited at 2019-01-09 05:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Paste cells from Excel/PPT File?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »