Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:01
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Jan 30, 2019

Today I created a translated xliff file from memoQ and tried to import it into Studio (SDLTrados Studio 2019 SR1 - 15.1.0.44109) To my great surprise both source and target text came in the source column in Studio.

I also tried to export the same translation from Dejavu as an xlf file (xliff), but with the same result.

Anyone who has a suggestion on why this may be and how to solve this? I have not experienced this before and wonder if it perhaps is a bug or something.<
... See more
Today I created a translated xliff file from memoQ and tried to import it into Studio (SDLTrados Studio 2019 SR1 - 15.1.0.44109) To my great surprise both source and target text came in the source column in Studio.

I also tried to export the same translation from Dejavu as an xlf file (xliff), but with the same result.

Anyone who has a suggestion on why this may be and how to solve this? I have not experienced this before and wonder if it perhaps is a bug or something.

Roy
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:01
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Seems normal to me Jan 30, 2019

I just tried with the MemoQ job I am working on and everything seems normal:

In MemoQ:
Export bilingual
Set to "Plain XLIFF for other tools"
Saved the mqxliff file

In SDL Trados Studio:
File>Open>Translate single document>Imported the mqxliff file.

Opened normally

Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I also do .... Jan 30, 2019

... but this time both source and target were put in the source segment of the project

Here is how it should appear:

Skjermbilde

And here is how it looks when I try importing the mqxliff file:

Skjermbilde

Somehow this time I only got the Norwegian translation in, but in source. I saw one instance where both English and Norwegian were in the source column.

So it seems something is wrong with my copy of Studio. I guess I need to reinstall it somehow.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Roy Jan 30, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:
And here is how it looks when I try importing the mqxliff file...

What you're experiencing is what you might experience in a CAT tool that can't really parse XLIFF but simply assumes that you have an untranslated (pre-translated) file in which the source text is currently in the target fields. I'm surprised that this happens in Trados.

I'm not sure what you mean by "importing" the XLIFF files into Trados. I assume you mean you're just opening them like you would open e.g. a DOCX file, right?

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you just open docx files in Studio? Jan 31, 2019

To me import means preparing a file and convert it to an sdlxliff file in Studio. You don't work directly in a Word file in Studio. So I mean import. I have an xlf file and a mqxliff that Studio converts to a proper sdlxliff file. But when it does, target is empty and all text (source and taget) in the original file is lumped together in the source segment in the sdlxliff file that Studio works with.

It very much looks like a software error in my current installation though, so I wi
... See more
To me import means preparing a file and convert it to an sdlxliff file in Studio. You don't work directly in a Word file in Studio. So I mean import. I have an xlf file and a mqxliff that Studio converts to a proper sdlxliff file. But when it does, target is empty and all text (source and taget) in the original file is lumped together in the source segment in the sdlxliff file that Studio works with.

It very much looks like a software error in my current installation though, so I will try to reinstall Studio to see what happens.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Copy your target file into the relevant project folder Jan 31, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Perhaps you should first import the untranslated mqxliff file into Studio, followed by manually replacing that file by the finally translated mqxliff in the same folder. Open your file again in Studio and you should then see what you expect.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good point Jan 31, 2019

I did not quite think of that way of doing it. After all when I open a translated sdlxliff file in Dejavu or memoQ, source and target are populated the way I would expect. So why that is not the case when Studio open (imports) an xliff file from Dejavu or memoQ seems strange.

But I will try that way of doing it and see if it doesn't help.

Roy

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Try repair first Feb 3, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:

It very much looks like a software error in my current installation though, so I will try to reinstall Studio to see what happens.

In settings/programs & functions [approximate English renderings] try selecting the Studio entry in the table, right click and select Repair. This is a halfway house before outright reinstallation. I have successfully loaded native Xliff files into Studio and haven't experienced the problem you describe. I run Studio 2019 with the recent second update. I hope I'm not conveying coals to Newcastle.

Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repair will often solve bugs, true ... Feb 3, 2019

... but often the problem goes deeper, so I usually prefer to do a clean installation instead. It doesn't always solve the problem, though, regrettably.

Invidentally, I also had to reinstall DVX3, so there is something strange going on.

Now Studio and Dejavu work as intended it seems, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble importing xliff files into Studio

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »