Marijana Asanin
Marijana Asanin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:20
Spanish to Serbian
+ ...
Mar 6, 2019

Hello,

I have Trados Studio 2017, Freelance edition, and I have an annoying issue with the TM. All my translations are saved in the TM as new instead of overwriting older versions. So every time I correct a spelling error I get two different translations, which makes it difficult to pre-translate new files. Do you know any way to correct this?

Thank you in advance

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Did you already try this process when updating? Mar 7, 2019

Hello Marijana,

you can try to use the following procedure when doing Batch processing > Translation Memory Updates --- then click "Next" instead of "Finish"...here you find several options corresponding with your desired results.

Tick the box: Overwrite existing translation units (Imports the new translation units and overwrites the existing translation units in the translation memory.) instead of "add new translation units"

Please also have a look at
... See more
Hello Marijana,

you can try to use the following procedure when doing Batch processing > Translation Memory Updates --- then click "Next" instead of "Finish"...here you find several options corresponding with your desired results.

Tick the box: Overwrite existing translation units (Imports the new translation units and overwrites the existing translation units in the translation memory.) instead of "add new translation units"

Please also have a look at https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Trados%20Studio%20Online%20Help-v3/GUID-7FFA2DD3-7CDE-4106-AE7E-4D25C2D67943

However, this option is to be used carefully when working on different projects...It is recommended to adapt it when needed (in your case)...in most cases the ticked option "add new..." is to be preferred to save older
(similar) translation entries against being deleted unintended. It depends on the situation...

Good luck and best regards

Katrin

[Bearbeitet am 2019-03-07 07:45 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2019-03-07 07:46 GMT]
Collapse

Marijana Asanin
Spain
Spanish to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 7, 2019

Dear Katrin,

Thank you very much for your answer, but this does not solve my problem, because every time I make a spelling mistake and pres ctrl+enter I get two different translations and I would like to change that. It seems my TM is not set to automatically merge but to add new translation by default, and I can't find the way to change that.

But thanks anyway for your help

Kind regards

Katrin Hollberg
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
I am sorry to hear that Mar 7, 2019

... you mean you also tried this?: ...see graphic attached...if you do not change this setting the unwanted content will not be overwritten...
(sorry it is the German GUI but should be the same order in your app...)

TM settings wenn batch processing

Of course you have to update (clean up) your TM first...you can also do this by importing your current file (with confirmed "revised" translation segments) into the associated TM...or just by a new batch processing of your working file.

Maybe we were talking at cross purposes...sorry for that

Marijana Asanin
Spain
Spanish to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again Mar 7, 2019

Dear Katrin,

Maybe I haven't explained well what my problem is. It does not refer to batch processing, but to the translation process. While I translate, my new translations are saved in the TM, but if I change something (a comma), it is saved as a new translation in the TM, instead of overwriting the existing. As a result I have several versions of the same segment, because I don't always have time to delete them. And when pre-translating it does not import, because they are 99% m
... See more
Dear Katrin,

Maybe I haven't explained well what my problem is. It does not refer to batch processing, but to the translation process. While I translate, my new translations are saved in the TM, but if I change something (a comma), it is saved as a new translation in the TM, instead of overwriting the existing. As a result I have several versions of the same segment, because I don't always have time to delete them. And when pre-translating it does not import, because they are 99% matches.

Have I explained better now?

Thank you a lot for helping me.
Collapse

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Other TM? Mar 7, 2019

Could it be that another TM is accidentally active to be updated instead of the one you wanted to use? Or none? The the first TM in the list is used for auto propagation and if this is not activated as to be updated it is displaying the same unchanged results.

TM activated

Katrin Hollberg
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Ah sorry Marijana, Mar 7, 2019

for getting you wrong...Yeah, that sounds odd indeed...but as Silke wrote: maybe you should more carefully examine which TMs are activated during your translating work and also watch closely which TM is your Master TM / Project TM and which one might deviate from the one you actually wanted to connect to your translation file... I had a lot of confusion in the past and sometimes had to face error messages but could resolve problems by new assignment actions.

Maybe somebody else here
... See more
for getting you wrong...Yeah, that sounds odd indeed...but as Silke wrote: maybe you should more carefully examine which TMs are activated during your translating work and also watch closely which TM is your Master TM / Project TM and which one might deviate from the one you actually wanted to connect to your translation file... I had a lot of confusion in the past and sometimes had to face error messages but could resolve problems by new assignment actions.

Maybe somebody else here on the platform had exactly the same problem like you...

Good luck again...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM updates as new translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »