Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 06:22
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2019

Hello,

In about 3 of the last 10 projects I've done with Trados, I've gotten errors when I try to preview the document or "save target as." I'm able to create a return package, but not save a target file.

Most recently, this happened with a short and simple Word doc. When I tried to preview it, I got an error message stating "attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." I had no trouble with the TM while doing t
... See more
Hello,

In about 3 of the last 10 projects I've done with Trados, I've gotten errors when I try to preview the document or "save target as." I'm able to create a return package, but not save a target file.

Most recently, this happened with a short and simple Word doc. When I tried to preview it, I got an error message stating "attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." I had no trouble with the TM while doing the project, and I don't see why I'm getting a message about memory when trying to preview a document.

When I tried to "save target as," I got an error message about the file being locked or open in another application. The file was not open in another application and was not locked (as far as I can tell).

I'm sure I don't need to explain that both previewing the translation and saving the target in its original format are pretty fundamental tasks! And it seems they should be pretty simple, but Trados is not cooperating. Any idea what to do?

Thanks!

Kate

[Edited at 2019-03-14 19:44 GMT]
Collapse

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:22
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
bug Mar 15, 2019

I think there are always bugs. If you try to convert doc. file into docx. file, the result may be different.

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 06:22
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still unsure Mar 16, 2019

Thanks for your reply, Frank. I'm not sure what you meant, though. Do you mean that if I convert it from .doc to docx it is likely to work better? I checked, and the original file was a docx.

113 people have viewed my question and only one person has replied, which makes me think no one knows the answer. The last time I tried to generate the same target file, I got a new error message:

"failed to save target content. External component has thrown an exception."
... See more
Thanks for your reply, Frank. I'm not sure what you meant, though. Do you mean that if I convert it from .doc to docx it is likely to work better? I checked, and the original file was a docx.

113 people have viewed my question and only one person has replied, which makes me think no one knows the answer. The last time I tried to generate the same target file, I got a new error message:

"failed to save target content. External component has thrown an exception."

This doesn't make any sense. And Trados isn't even giving me the same error messages as I got before. ???

In the past, Paul from SDL would weigh in on some of these requests. Paul, any thoughts on this issue? No one else seems able to help.

-K
Collapse

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:22
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Must be tags Mar 18, 2019

Yes, that's what I meant. If it didn't work, and you had such error message as you mentioned, you could try to use Transtools to "clean the document" before importing it into the Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with previewing and saving target as in Trados Studio 2019

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »